Lake Norman Perch Trip

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I had a party of three today that wanted to catch some perch and a catfish if it happen to connect. They caught over 100 perch on the Sabiki Rig and a 1/4 oz. green jig. Also, several nice trash fish (bass) were caught on the catfish rigs. Lite winds for the most part, surface water temp. was 82.6 and water was stained.

2. monstercatmatt

monstercatmatt New Member

State:
    n.c.
    Mac when you say sabiki rig what do you mean.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Matt, a Sabiki Rig is a man made bait catching system. It consist of a piece of fishing line about six feet long. At one end is a swivel, the other a clasp to attach a slinky weigh or tear drop weigh (3/4 to 1 oz.), in between there are six no. 6 gold hooks with plastic wings and a couple of beads. They retail for about $2 per set. Also, you can make them yourself and use small worms or cut bait on the hooks.

You let the rig hit the bottom of the water column and you can move it up and down slightly until you get a strike. Do not bring it up on the first strike, let it load up with the perch. By doing this, you can catch two to six perch at a time. Sometime I put it over the side while I'm slow trolling for cats, it is there just bouncing off the bottom and when it loads up, I bring them in, put them in my livewell and this gives me fresh bait at all times. Small cats and bream will also hit the little hooks, also larger fish like bass, carp, stripers, etc.

4. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Mac you are the man!!!:cool2: