Lake Norman Perch jerking time

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I fish in the cove next to me from 7 to 8 AM and put 48 white perch in the boat for my trips, tomorrow, Sunday and Tuesday. The Sabiki did the trick on them this AM. I pulled off so a guide could fish them, because I had all I needed.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats a nice haul. Its one of my prime baits of choice up here in the delaware. Sabiki rigs also work here. I just hate fishin with em. The hooks are always hookin me! LOL!

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Good catch Mac! The sabikis also work well at Buggs, but sometimes (for some reason) a hand tied double hook rig works better, with small pieces of cut perch.

4. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Ok whats a SABIKI RIG? I really need to know! Kinda feelin like a dummy here!! LOL :embarassed:

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Tubby, a Sabiki Rigs is a bait catching rig. It has six hooks on it, with small beads, some little plastic wings on gold hooks. You can use it to jig for bait or use it while you are drifting. I use it while I am drifting. I put a slinky or snake weigh on the bottom and just let it bounce off the bottom. When I get a hit, I do not bring it right in, I let the other hooks load up with bait fish as the first one is jerking trying to get off and thus that action attracts the other bait fish. If you are on white perch, it is not unusual to bring three to six fish in at a time. The attached photo depicts a Sabikie Rig loaded up with white perch.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mac/BG, I've never tried sand bass as bait. Do the fillets work best or how do you cut them up for bait. I've seen for awhile now where Mac uses it regularly for bait and have been wanting to try it.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Triple seven, go to Mac Byrum's Catfish University and you will see a step by step feature for using white perch as bait. Thread is called 'Bait preparation and presentation'. Try it, you might like the results.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    That looks kinda like pulling a trotline behind you w/a pole!! Thanks for the pic I was wondering too what it looked like

9. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, I gotta show you how to rotate pics bfore you upload them I almost fell outta my chair tryin to look at those perch! :smile2:

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks Shane for your comments about my abilities as it relates to my presentation of my photo's. It got your attention, didn't it. :smile2:

11. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Thanks Mac. Do you buy those Pre-Rigged or are they something you can assemble. 6 hooks and beads I got but the wings are throwin me for a loop.

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    You can buy them at Gander Mtn., Bass Pro or some of the larger bait shops. They cost somewhere around $2.

13. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    are they a game fish? I have been catching some in the cast net, see them hit the surface like shad. 20 or 30 in the net is quick bait but didn't know if it was legal to keep them using net?

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Darin, page 16, of the NC Regulations Digest (2007-2008) classifies white perch as a game fish in inland waters, thus you can not keep them if you get them in a cast net or other types of nets.

15. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    thanks mac, i thought they might be so I did the right thing by releasing them