Lake Norman Nov. 23, 2008 - Found most of the fish at 25 to 30 feet.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yesterday, after I got thru with my chores and the temp got up to the high 40's I went out into Little Creek to catch me some fish. Decided to just use free lines and side planer boards with a split shot on all of them. Found most of the fish at 25 to 30 feet. I should have taken my down line rigs.for those fish. Still, I was able to get two stripers and two bass to come up to my baits, but lost two when I had other rigs loaded up and come not get to them. Fished from 3:30 to 5:15 PM and the 50 degree weather was as cold as I have ever experience it, felt more like the high 30's or low 40's. I marked two nice schools of white perch, but I did not jig for them, I will go back for them later in the week, if they hang around. The wind direction changed twice on me, from South to NE, back to South and then it was dead still the last 15 minutes.

2. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Good report Mack. The fishing was slow @ Bugg's yesterday for everyone I talked to. Me and my 9 yr old fished from about 1 til 5 PM and only managed to catch 14 keeper crappie. The shallowest ones we caught were about 18 feet over 25 - 35 ft of water and the larger ones came off the bottom in about 28 ft, rocky points. We were fishing in an area (main channel near Clarksville, VA) where there had been a lot of striper activity in the last few weeks but the striper fishermen wern't catching much yesterday.

How did you determine those schools were white perch, was it from the looks of them on your sonar or just past experience in the area?

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Mac's good with the sonar, he was trying to show me when I went with him but my febile mind couldn't catch on:005:
    I might as well have been looking at directions on how to build a jet engine that was written in Chinese:smile2:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, go back and take a look see at my post titled LKN Nov. 8, 2008 and you will see what white perch look like on the sonar. If this is not clear enough, let me know and I will e-mail you a larger photo. Mac

5. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Mac, are you saying that the object on bottom (Nov 8 photo), which i've been thinking was a small mound of brush, is white perch?

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Absolutely, I am going to e-mail you a larger photo of the sonar and maybe you will see what I saw. My clients caught 18 or 19 white perch in the 3/4 to 1.25 pound range off of that spot.

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the big foto Mac. Although I don't have a color sonar unit, after seeing that pic I'm sure I've been regularly mistaking schools of perch for a small brushpile.

I think I can speak for everyone and say.....Thanks for the time and effort you put into teaching others what you've learned about fishing over the years. We continually learn from you!

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, sometimes they are brush piles with white perch around the brush and in the brush. When you see something similar, drop your worm or jigging spoon down there. If it is all brush and you get hung up, just lower your rod tip and most of the time the jigging spoon will fall free. It happens to us all the time. Also, if you had a color screen, and you saw yellow within the red stuff, that is bait (yellow)surrounded by perch (red lines or arches). Somebody else taught me this and I'm glad to pass it on to whom ever it will benefit.