Lake Norman Notice

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A backhoe excavator fell off a barge and is sitting on the bottom in the main channel of Lake Norman between markers #2 and #3. The GPS location as determined by the East Lincoln Fire Dept. is 35 deg 28.645 min N, 080 deg 56.960 min W.

The excavator is sunk in approximately 88 feet of water with at least 70 feet of water over its highest point, and poses no hazard to navigation. It is marked on the surface by an orange plastic buoy approximately 2.5 feet in diameter. The buoy is unlighted except for glow-sticks that are periodically attached to it by the East Lincoln Fire Dept. Boaters should exercise caution while navigating in the vicinity of this buoy. The East Lincoln Fire Dept is the contact point for any information.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mac i didn,t think Lake Norman got that ruff to make a excavator fall off a barge ,how bad of an oil slick is it causing on the lake . That is an expensive artificial reef yall got there now :wink:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dickie, we have places on LKN, especially the big open areas that when the wind gets up it can do damage. If you have, say 20 MPH winds on land, it can blow 30 or better where it is open for a mile or so. I got caught in one with some clients several years ago and it bent the aluminum rods on my Bimini backward, weather guessers informed the insurance adjuster that we had wind gust of 50 MPH that day for several minutes. This is not the first large piece of equipment to go down, plus several pleasure boats have gone to the bottom over the years from high waves during one of these blows.

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    If they know the location, wander why they tied a buoy to it? It seems to me that the only navigation hazard would be the buoy itself.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I didnt know the lake was that deep:smile2: I'm guessing the bouy will be temporary? I wonder about the oil also, wouldnt an excavator have alot of hydrulic fluid and diesel fuel, wonder if EPA or someone makes them recover it.

6. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    if i had to guess, i would say it would hold atleast 55 to 65 gallons of hydro fluid based upon what excavators i have worked on and the size of it. fuel i would guess 50 to 100 gal. maybe more.