Lake Norman Night of 5/22

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by thex1224, May 23, 2008.

1. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went down to the community dock for a couple of hours last night. Used cut bream as bait. Caught two, had 3 others rob me of my bait. Dont know if they are channels or blues (not sure how to tell the difference yet). The smaller weighed 4lbs 12 oz and the second 9lbs 3 oz (on the Rapala Digi scale, dont know how accurate those are). The Dock is on the side of the point, and i was throwing into about 10-15 foot of water.

I'm guessing these are channels, but i would love to know how to tell the difference between a channel and a small blue.

Thanks, Tight lines

Attached Files:

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Them are bluecats. Channel cats are usally thinner and most are not blue color. I have caught several really big male channels that were almost purple color. Norman has alot of blues that size. Why they never grow up is beyond me.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man. Not too bad for a night of bank fishing! And I'll echo Tomahawk those are blues for sure.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Michael, look at the anal fin on the bottom of the fish. Blues have a flat and channels and white cats are rounded.

I know they are called "blue cats", but you can't really go by color because that can change from one lake to another and also around the spawn.

5. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info guys, i htought they might be channels just based on the size. I caught another small cat while i was trying to catch bait, and it had spots on him. Do you think this was a young channel??

By the way, i was experimenting with circle hooks versus j hooks last night, just because i've had trouble with the circles. But both that i caught were on the circles, and all three that i missed were on the j hooks. Go figure, you would think a bass fisherman would know how to set a hook..... I dont know what gives???

Tight lines

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Them are some blue cats nice looking lil fish glad to hear that you was able to get out and catch you some, keep up the good work and keep us informed on how you do on your fishing trips.

7. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Stop "setting the hook" when your using circles hooks and your catch rate will go up. Just sweep the rod up and get the line tite and stick him with a slow motion and you'll get more hook up's. I use circles exclusively and have great success.

8. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    YEP FOR SURE THEY ARE BLUES JUST TO ECHO EVERYONE ELSE. CONGRADS ON YOUR CATCH. LOVE TO SEE A BASS FISHERMAN HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!! :smile2::smile2:

9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    I agree, circles are more about just keeping the line tight. They are the way to go for me as well i use nothing but 7/0 gamagatsu, setting the hook puts in too many factors to lose fish, although it can be satisfying id rather just get more hook ups. Circles will also hang up less since your hook point isnt as exposed