Lake Norman Mishap

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A thirty five year old man and the lady he was engaged to were enjoying a boat ride on LKN, March 8, 2007, when something went wrong. At the mouth/entrance to Little Creek both people fell out of his pleasure boat and the boat circle around them. A passing boater saw the mishap and called the emergency people and another party that lived close to the mishap assisted the female to shore. Water temp. yesterday in that area was around 52-54 degrees. Today, the search will begin for the male involved. In April or May last year the same thing happen to a gentleman in his sixties within a 1/8 mile of this tragedy. We can not be too carefull out there and a life jacket would have probably saved those that are no longer here. I had my life jacket on yesterday afternoon while fishing, did you?

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dontcha wish they would pick apart accidents like this (or any accidents) more like they do airplane crashes?
    Meaning, if more people knew what happened to actually cause the event perhaps they would be able to avoid one like it.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    50/50 rule. 50 minutes in 50 degree water = 50% chance of survival.

Sad story. Terribly sad. I always wonder how stuff like that happens. Obviously the boat was under power when it happened.

The picture I saw on the WSOC website looked like a Donzi speedboat. Obviously they were not using a kill switch lanyard.

Sad.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    After thinking about it, my guess is that they were probably thrown in a "flat turn" ejection. Considering the boat was locked in a circling turn that makes the most sense.

Several years ago I shot a story for Inside Edition about some folks that were racing boats and were ejected in a flat turn. Those high performance boats are capable of turning without plowing into the water as much as a regular boat almost sliding across the water, but, and this is a major BUT, you have to know how to trim up the boat to do that. An inexperienced boater who attempts one of these flat turns can easily be ejected because the boat rolls in the opposite direction that it would in a normal turn. It is like flipping a pea on a spoon.