Lake Norman January 1, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The purpose of my trip today was to test a new type of weigh for catfish drifting. I left my dock at 10:05 AM and returned at 1:30 PM. Bait of choice was some 5.5 to 6" gizzard shad that Shane Reel gave me last week. I fished them live on an 8/0 circle hook. The weigh I was using is probably 2 to 3 times heavier than the 3/4 oz. slinkies that I use. The fellow that invented it said that it would not hang up as much as a slinky. In three and one half hours of trolling over crappy brush and other stuff, I did not lose a single rig. When it did hang up, the rod would double over until all the stretch was out of the line and then it would pop loose. Oh, by the way, I caught some nice blues and lost a flathead at the boat while I was testing the weighs. Photo's attached.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Not a bad way to start of the new year at all Mac. I know your friend is patenting these weights, but do you have any idea when they will be avalible to the average sorghum sopper? Sounds like if you can drag it through crappie piles that they should work for carolina riggin bass also. If there is anything i hate is to stop and have to re-tie my rig, expecially if the clock is tickin in a tourney.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac you dog ...winding me up and said I wouldnt let you.....them some nice fish buddy....Id like to check some them new weights out too:wink:Man I gotta get off me arse and get the boat done(LOL) ....I am ready fer some action and my freezor is gettin light in the fillet dept.....ahh man yer killin me here(LOL)

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mac, thats a great way to start the year! I guess I live in the wrong area... Cold, no blues around... I need to move somewhere, that I can fish cats year round, and setup on a body of water! Thats my dream! I can't afford to leave, and the fishing here is ... well.... lol...congrats:wink: rollo

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac
    What do you think of the Lindy type weight that looks like a long skinny lima bean? I am to lazy to sit down and make some slinky wieghts so I have bought these. IMO they snag easier.
    Jeff

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Good to see you're back to catching those slimy fish again Mac:smile2: Guess you decided you were going to get one of those guys that parted your 12lb line huh:wink:

7. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Way to start the new year out Mac. Coodo's on the catch.:smile2:

8. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It had to be the bait! :smile2: Good job Mac.

9. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    nice looking cats! good way to start out the new year!