Lake Norman Fishing Report Week Ending 7-07-07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The big fish are still MIA and the tablefare size are out there but not aggressive. Four hour morning outings have produced 9 to 15 fish per outing for several catfishermen this week. Friday AM I did connect with a large flathead which tagged a live bream and I fought him to the boat only to have it just let go! I have worked 5 to 40 feet of water in coves and streams and you can get a bite at any of these depths. Water temp. this week has been from 84 to 86.5 degrees. The bright side of fishing this past week has been the activity of the white perch. I probably had my person best week with those little guys catching them on a Sabiki rig. Also, the carp have been hitting baits that you don't normally think they will hit. I caught one on the Sabiki, one of my fishing buddies caught one on a jig (it is now swimming around in my large bait holding tank) and Capt. GG had a client to catch one on a lure. If you folks have not tried carp as a bait for cats, you are missing out on some good bait. It holds the blood well and the cats will hit it before a bream head or white perch strips or heads. You can cut the carp up in small chunks or strips, either way will develop a bite. Also, if you vacuum seal your carp and then freeze it, you will find that when you thaw it out, it is still nice and bloody. Lets hope for the big fish week ahead and you'll be careful out thar! Mac

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like the bite is happening at about the same rate as on Wylie...without the carp!

Next week is a new week and it will be interesting to see what happens.

It is approaching the time of the year for the suspended bite on the lower lake. Keep us posted Mac on what is happening, and don't tell the newspaper about it until a week or so into it!! We were catching them down there around July 23rd-26th last year, so get the vertical rigs ready!! :wink::wink:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat, we will keep it a secert among us (BOC members) and not the public, okay? What Dieter is referring to is a situation whereby a lot of cats gather at a certain place on LKN and are suspended at 30 to 32 feet in 40 to 50 feet of water. The striper fishermen lead us to this event several years ago. They (striper fishermen) would fish for stripers from 5 to 7 AM and then switch over to catfishing when the striper bite let up and the cats started to feeding. The cats were located several feet below the stripers picking up stunned bait fish and this got them active. The bite can last for hours. You can located this spot by traveling down river to marker 8 and start looking for the boats on both sides of the main channel. Stop and drop your down lines to where you are marking the arches. Also, you can put a small piece of bait on a jig and catch them that way. Don't be surprised that you catch 25 blues or more in a couple hours. This action will last about 3 to 4 weeks. I spotted some dead stripers floating Saturday which means that the oxygen content might be getting low for the stripers and if this is the case, then sometime in late July or August might be a good time to fish for cats close to the dam. Mac

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got a question sir, what is a Sabiki rig? And what do you with it?:confused2:

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Terry, I'm having a hard time getting past your first words to me, which were "I've got a question Sir". We are all brothers and sisters here and sir does not apply. Dang man, that makes one feel old to see that in print. I know you meant no harm, I was raised with the same manners that you were.

A Sabiki rig is a piece of fishing line with a swivel on one end, six gold hooks attached to the line and the hooks have fly like wings attached to the hooks and at the end there is a snap swivel to attach a small weight. You can jig it or just let it bounce off the bottom while you are slow drifting for cats. The secert to catching a lot of bait fish is not to bring it in when you feel the first strike. Let the first fish bounce the rig for you and the other fish will come to it and load up. On a lot of occassions I have brought in six at a time. The Sabiki rig retails for $1.75 to $1.99 each and they will have different size hooks. You can expect to catch white perch, carp, small to medium cats, bass, etc. on these rigs while drifting and all of them make good cut bait. Try it, you might like it! Mac

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Terry can't help he was raised right!! :smile2:

If you are at the tournament the 27th Terry I will show you one. They are great once you locate schooled white perch!

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks. Yeah I hope to be there Dieter. I'd like to see one.That sounds pretty cool. As you can tell I'm no perch fisherman. I think I've only caught one or two perch "ever". And they were caught by accindent while fishing for crappie.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Catching perch is like walking through tick infested tall grass---before long you gotta scrape them off the hooks they bite so well:smile2:

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I love catching 'em and if you got kids, then that is what to go after. Me and Tomahawk got into big time last week while we were catching bait with drop shot rigs and cut bait. I be we caught 60 while watching the fireworks in the background. I've never seen then this shallow though. they were right up in the grass and out to the first dropoff around 7 ft. of water. we had the boat in 4 ft. and could drop it straight down and catch 'em. It sure was fun! They make good bait too!!!!