Lake Norman fishing report, week ending 5-12-07

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, May 12, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Only fished for cats two days this week, did not set the world on fire, but had two decent outings. Wednesday I had some folks out and we anchorded down due to the wind. Caught maybe 8 or 9, the largest being a mid size flathead that we caught close to Rookie 12's dads house. Today I had some guys from Charlotte and New York and we did a little better drifting. Had a couple of doubles and caught enough for them to have a fish fry tonight. The 3 to 6 pounds blues are fat as they can be, full of what I don't know (some of them left some mussel shells in my live well, but I believe several had eggs). I have not heard of any big fish being caught this week on Norman. We had some BOC brothers fishing LKN this week, such as Miichael and Cutter, welcome to LKN and come back soon. Surface water temp. most of the week was around 75 degrees, which means that if it holds the cats will begin their spawn.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yesterday on LKN we could not get a blue to touch a white perch head and this morning they tore them up. From 7:30 to 8:30 AM we put five blues in the boat ranging from 6.5 to 11.5 pounds, after that time period all cats were 1 to 4 pounders. Rest of the morning was spent trying to stay out of the wind (NE @ 12 MPH or greater). Surface water temp. was 74 degrees and we had our better bites in less than 15' of water. It is begining to look like the big cats are heading for their spawning locations.

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished it on 5/12 with dad and we got 5 cats. 3 flats, a blue and a channel. all pretty small, but we slayed the perch. got over a big school and caught around 60 or so, with most being over 1 lb. I've never seen that many big perch at one time. You would catch two fish every time you dropped it to the bottom and when you brought it up, there were literally between 10 and 50 more with 'em. even had a dang blue cat follow them perch up to the top one time. Got the cats on cut herring and the perch on threadfin cut up real small. not bad considering we only fished for about 2 hours in the AM. I'm starting to like LKN!