Lake Norman Fishing Report : Part 2

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    We were approaching an area that has been producing flatheads and I informed mifit 98 that we would get a flathead before we left that area. Guess what, he caught his first flathead in the designated area. :cool2: What more can I say!

2. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I fished with three Mexicans and one gringo and had another boat with three Mexicans and one gringo following me. I furnished the other boat five outfits to fish with plus bait. We had wind out of the North East at 5 to 10 MPH, water temp. was 86.4 degrees and water was stained. Bait was a mixture of live bream, bream heads and filets and frozen white perch. The moon was two or three days past a full moon. Starting time was 7 AM & quit at 11:30.

Both boats marked plenty of fish on the bottom but, little or no action. My boat got seven catfish and the other boat got three. The longer summer goes on the harder it is to get a decent fish. Our largest fish was only 4.75 pounds and the rest were in the 3 to 4 pound range. All fish were kept for a fish fry tonight.I hope they have plenty of corn bread and taters tonight, because the fish won't fill them up.

Some people would blame the bad fishing on the moon phase and the North East wind. Some days I catch them in good numbers with a full moon and North East wind and some days I don't. Didn't really matter, because everybody had fun and that is the main point when a group goes out fishing.

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Today, Sept. 2, 2007, my fishing partner took his seven year old son fishing and young Garrett got himself a nice 12.5 pound blue on a bream head. Cliff said that the wind was blowing out of the NE at 8 to 12 MPH and water temp. was 85 to 86 degrees.

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Today, Sept. 3, 2007, my fishing partner picked me up in his boat and we headed for Lucky Creek. Water temp. there was 85.5 degrees and we had lite wind. We offered the cats fresh white perch, live bream, catfish filets and some small bass. The cats appeared to enjoy the white perch strips best. Total catch for four hours of morming fishing was 7 cats, none over five pounds and plenty of bass caught on a white jig. We caught fish in 7 to 35 feet of water depth.

Cliff and myself got to talking about how fishing was this year compared to last year and this is what he told me. He has not caught a fish over 17.5# all summer and last year he had several in the 35 to 47 pound range. Also, his numbers are way off for a four hour trip. He said his average last year was around 16 (4 per hour) per outing and this year around 8 (2 per hour). This is in line with what WylieCat told me about his experience on Lake Wylie as it relates to the summer catch last year verses this year. The last week or so it appears that I have been hanging around 7 to 10 per four hour outing. The only difference between Cliff and myself is that I have been lucky to land several nice flatheads over the summer months but, like him, I have not caught any large blues all summer.

Where are the big blues on LKN this summer? Not a single report from any of my fishing buddies about catching any large blues. We had a field day during March thru mid May, but nothing after that. I know they are feeding by reports and photo's that I get from Tomohawk on Badin, Tillery and Falls. Lets hope they put on the feed mode come this fall, if not, I am going to have to travel to get my fix for a big blue.

Next week, most of us can start to enjoy a little peace and quite on the lakes due to summer vacation being over. There will be a few lagers, but not many. You'll be careful out thar!

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    New thread created so search engines will more easily index this content, which allows guest to easily find these fishing reports.

Thanks,
    Paul

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Today, Sept. 5, 2007, I had the pleasure of fishing with Tim Fox, a new member of the Carolinas Catfish Club. The purpose of the trip, in addition to catching catfish, was to show Tim how we slow drift for cats and how to setup the Carolina rig and bait preparation.

Went to Stumpy Creek and we had lite winds, water surface temp. was 85 degress and the water was stained. Bait today was live and frozen bream, plus a young large mouth bass. Marked plenty of bait and some nice arches on the bottom. Fished from a little after 7 AM to 11 AM.

For those that don't know Tim, he is an amazing person. He is very young (late thirties or early forties) compared to myself. Three years ago Tim was told that he had Cancer of the Pancreas and had three months to live. But, after having surgery and untold numbers of cheo. treatments he is still here and enjoying life even tho he still has Cancer. He gives a lot of credit to his wife for her support, friends and a couple of good doctors, plus his faith in the MAN UPSTAIRS.

We caught some fish but, that does not really seem to be important right now. I am glad I had a chance to spend some time, one on one, with Tim for four hours. We shared some war stories about our Cancer treatments and I will tell you right now, I had it easy compared to what Tim has experienced for the past three years. Mac

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice report Mac. Let me know when he wants to come to Wylie and I will take him out. Just need a little advanced notice. Send me a PM.:wink:

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Lite wind, water surface temp. was 85.6 degrees and water was stained. Bait of choice was live bream for the planer boards, cut bream head marinated in shad oil and blue back herrings from Chester SC.

I was fishing with two nice fellows from Long Island, NY. I picked them up at 8:00 AM at their request and headed for an area that usually gives me 7 to 14 fish per four hour outing. Fishing was slow and thus, I changed baits every 30 to 45 minutes and tried shallow, deep water and in between. Did not see any wildlife moving on the shore, no surface feeding by bass and only saw one carp flip on the surface.

At 11:50 AM on September 8, 2007 I was faced with a Goose Egg or Skunked situation. Never for one minute did I think it could happen to me on Lake Norman, not in a million years. But, sadly it did!

I offered to reduce my fee in half and they said "no way Mac, you worked your butt off for us today and we appreciate it". They then told me about taking two hour trips out of NY to fish and then make the two hour trip back without catching the species of fish that they were fishing for.

It's one thing to get skunked fishing by yourself or with a buddy, but when someone pays their hard earned money for a fishing trip and it produces nothing, thats hard to swallow. I know it happens, it happened to me in Maui, several years ago when I was one of three that paid some big bucks to a charter and we drawed straws to see who would sit in the fighting chair first and I came in last. The charter only caught one fish that day. So, s--- happens when you hire someone to take you fishing, good or bad. Mac

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac nothing wrong with that trip. you done all you could do to make a fisherman happy in adverse conditions. always seems like to me a slow period in the month of sept. anyways with the lakes turning over in the fall. always took a few weeks to figure the pattern back out and get back on the new pattern. tomahawk and i hired a guide last year for tarpon. i have never been much on saltwater fishing for some reason but toma. talked me into it and i had a good time even though we never hooked up with the first tarpon all day. we saw them rolling on the top within 50 ft of the boat and the heart raced but no hook up. i did catch two stingrays about 30lbs each and they felt just like a yadkin river flathead.:wink: congrates on the two happy customers. most of the time its about spenting time on the water with good friends anyways....fish is a bonus.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like you gave it real try. I took fishing trip (guide) in Key West did not catch a thing, but the guide did not take us where he was supposed to and I don't feel like he tried to get us on fish. He just hung out for 4 hours and asked for his money. I paid him but am not happy about it. But if I had been on your trip today the way you worked I would have gladly paid the fee.
    Better fishing next time.
    And thanks for the honest story.

11. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My first trip to santee cooper was terrible , because the guide that we hire for 2 days didn't put in the effect. I know this because i found a guide that works really hard to put you on fish. we didn't have the poles in the water for more than 4 hrs in 2 days. so if a guide works hard than i don't mind paying him or her because they tried. fish don't always cooperate. that my 2 cents

12. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    We went to santee last year for two full days fishing. The guide that I had hired had a family thing to take care of on the second day so I had to find a
    second guide at the last minute. On the first day with the guide i reserved
    we went out droped the anchor and basicly watch him catch bait for 8 hours
    although we did put 1 in the boatthat weighed maybe 2 pd. He never move all day long even when we tried to get him to. At the end of the day with great resistence we paid full price. O the second day our last minute guide was asking how we done the day before and after i told him how it went it
    garenteed fish or no pay, we went out and drifted and he provided us one of the best fishing trips ive been on. He got full pay pluss a nice tip. Thank god for family emergencys.

13. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Whats up with LN??? I got skunked this weekend too,first time this year also. LakeNormanBlues its not you something is up on the lake!!!

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    While us cat guys/gals were struggling this weekend, one of my striper friends caught himself a nice flathead at his dock fishing for bait with crappie minnows. See attachments. :angry: Thanks to ThaBear for the photo.

15. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey Mac,
    I was going to Norman sat myself when my fishing partner was a no show. I called 4 people at 6:30 sat am with no luck. I had just rigged up six rods just like you showed me and I wanted to go bad. So believe it or not I got my mom out of bed and made her go with me.
    Long story short we had a couple of backlashes and so lessons about planer boards. We did however not come back empty handed caught a couple of blues not big 3 or 4 pounds and missed a few more. After hearing about your tough day I feel like it was a good trip we only fished one spot a couple of hours.
    As for the striper guys you right; my buddy has been hot including a 31 pounder this week [ location a secret] but also said he caught 5 cats Sunday striper fishing.

lol :wink:

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well Mac all I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only one.:smile2:

17. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have that happen to me guiding before. You can take the people out to the fish but can't make them bite. It's real fustrating. In those situtions I usally try to help the clients out by telling how the fish usally behave and where to how to catch them in the future, so if they go out in thier own boats they have a good chance of catching something.

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Fished Sunday with ThaBear and we caught a few, plus I won the Sunday big cat contest with my other fishing buddy who was fishing in his boat. Went to check out my fall/winter holes yesterday and met Karl Emerson on the water. He had been out catching some shad and other fish for bait. He shared some crappie with me and I put them to good use and caught me several channels and blues. Water temp. has dropped to 84.5 degrees. I was scheduled to fish this morning but, my client called and informed me that he had fallen Saturday and hurt his hip. He is 77, so I sure the fall put a hurt on him. Started to go out by myself, but old Norman is blowing mighty with winds out of the North about 12 to 15 MPH.

19. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm going fishing on Norman 24/7 this Friday night into Sunday morning. Hopefully I can find a pattern, if I do I'll share with everyone:wink:

20. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I just finished fishing from Friday night until 1pm today. My wife and I camped out at the Duke Power state park for the weekend. I fished Murray's Creek area in a deep hole that came up into a huge flat that was around 10 feet deep. Used bream,crappies,white perch and shad for bait. Didn't get a bite until 12 midnight on a fileted crappie. It was about a 5 lb blue. Didn't have another bite until 3am and it was a screamer. A school of strippers came up on that flat and were there until 6am. Had about 30 runs on cut shad, and landed 8 fish from 16-21", took a 17" for camp lunch. During the day Sat caught 8 catfish from 4-7lbs. Sat night was a repeat of Friday night,one catfish and 7 more strippers from 16"-22". Fished Sunday until 1 pm with only 4 catfish caught. Thank God for the rain and a nice weekend of fishing!