Lake Norman Fishing Report March 8, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Twenty four of Lake Norman's best teams hit the waters yesterday morn. at 6 AM to see who could catch the largest striper's. Six teams caught a striper in the six pound range. Normally we will have two of three six pounders weighed in, but yesterday that amount double. Most of the good fish were caught in shallow waters using blue backs and 6 to 9 inch gizzard shad.

One body of water produced the winning tournament striper for the fourth or fifth time this season. Plus it has produced a lot of second and third place fish.

I found a narrow cove that was holding bait and striper's in 12 to 20 feet of water and so narrow that only one boat could work it at a time. I caught three tournament size fish out of that area, plus 3 smaller fish. Also, around 8:15 AM I had a triple hookup and managed to get two in, both striper's were over 24 inches. The other one was pulling drag and I felt like it was money in the bank, but it got off before I could get to it.

Most channels and creeks are holding white perch in the deepest parts. I stop trolling every now and then and drop a jigging spoon down to catch me a few.

Two of my buds won the tournament, Shane Reel and Anthony Johnson with a striper pushing seven pounds. Way to go guys. I came in sixth with a 6.03 pound striper, which just might keep me in the top three in the Championship Race.

Shane and AJ gave me their left over live gizzard shad and blue backs, so most likely I will try my hand at cat fishing this week and no later than next week. I have plenty of frozen (vacuum sealed) perch if anyone close to LKN needs some, just PM me and we can make arrangements.

2. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Congrats on a great tournement. I spoke to a couple of other people fishing on Saturday and it seemed as if everyone was struggling to find fish. I did not have any luck on Saturday until almost noon. I think there was a bit of a turning point and it sounds as like the bite on Sunday was good. We are very close to the best time of year.

The cold shock of earlier last week pushed the stripers back closer to the main channel. I am guessing the warmer weather we had the last few days brought them back into the creeks into shallower water. The water in the north end of the lake was really stained but as you got closer to the 150 bridge it cleared up. It is also good to see the water level up a bit.

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, don't be afraid of stained water when fishing for striper's. The first, third and fourth place striper's came out of water that was heavily stained.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a real nice event, congrats and good luck in the future

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
  6. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac

Is it true that stained water will warm up faster than clear water?

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Noticed it said mac Byrum, & not team Byrum or Team Mac or something like that....wtg you OF( i remembered to capitalize it)all by yourself

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I have been told that.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Will, up until July 2008 I was Team Gander Mtn. and then the economy nosed dived and I lost my sponsorship, now I'm just plain old Mac Byrum. :smile2:
    PS, I'm doing better in the standings fishing on my own money, go figure!

10. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Remember this quote Mac. I predicted we would win this one....lol :wink: The next tournament is the last one of the season and is worth double points so its really gonna be interesting.

11. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Jeff I personally believe it is 100% true. I fished a striper tournament at Clarks Hill on Saturday and the water looked like tomato soup except for a small section near Russel dam. The water temperature in the clear water was 49-51 degrees. We went into the back of a nearby creek and found 62 degree water temps in the muddy shallow water.

Shane