Lake Norman fishing report 3-30-07 (AM)

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Storming Noman blessed my Friday fishing partner (Cliff) and myself this morning. We had over cast skies with a barometer presure of 30 plus, with little if any wind. Fished the back of creeks and coves and caught 18 cats. The largest blue weighed in at 23.5, second largest was 15 even. Two small cats were reeled in, but most of the rest were in the 8 to 10 pound class. Bait of choice was a large gizzard shad, one blue back and several white perch. The big fish hit the gizzard shad head and the 15 pounder hit a nice size blue back head. If one of the Badin/Tillery boys dad had been looking out his window he could have seen us perform, see I told you guys where we caught the cats. My partner caught 4 fish and the largest and I caught 14 using a new technique that WylieCat told me about. Thanks Wyliecat for making my day.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i saw you mac! the secrets out now. thanks just in time for the nccats.....:big_smile: i always knew them fish was up in the hot hole.:wink: sounds like a nice day on the water. congrates

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Michael, don't you know that us river rats on Norman sore mouth our cats before you out of towners come in to fish the NCCATS. :embarassed:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey mac that sore mouth want stop a hungry gut. im not fishin that nccats anyways. i got work to do at badin and santee is coming up before long too. i seen omar done good at randolfs, so hes got a head start on us.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    How good did Omar do? Please share.

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey Mac,

Me and my two sons just want a description of that new shallow water technique you're talking about. We're going to Kerr Lake tomorrow and I'm sure we could put it to good use. We'll even name it after you if you like!

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Good buddy, I wish I could post it on this board, but it is not my idea and the BOC member who told me about it will have to post it.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I don't know Mac's technique, but when I drift or troll in shallow water. I use standard Santee style drift rigs and also use slip floats set to various depths and I also put out a weightless rig with just a hook and a piece of cutbait. Sometimes you have to drift really slow to keep it down close to the bottom, and someimtes I'll add a tiny split shot to it. It works good in shallow water and I'll throw one out in deep water too, if I'm anchored. My avatar pic. is 2 20 lb. flatheads and they were both caught on a weightless rig with a perch head on it in 46 ft. of water. It works in the deep too. Try it, it works good and it don't hang up much as long as you don't drag it through a brushpile. I also used a rubberband to make it weedless. Take a small rubberband and loop it back throught itslef just above your hook eye and then stretch it out and hook it on the backside of the barb on your hook and that baby is weedless. When one grabs it the rubberband jumps out of the way. Neat technique. Give it a shot!

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know where you fished Mac and I'm glad to gear you're catching some. Dad said that the shad and herring are super thick under his dock lights at night, so shoot by there and nt you some bait when he turns it on. He don't turn it on every night, but when it's been on every night, then the bait is thick in there, especially on a calm night. I just can't figure out how to get him to catch 'em. He's in a wheelchair and can't throw a castnet. Anybody got any suggestions on how he could catch bait? Thanks! And Mac, I guess you know where dad's house is. It's almost right underneath the bridge to Gov. island. Right beside the blue house that used to be Hank Parker's old house. 20' Crestliner pontoon at the dock. Stop by and say hey if you see him out! I got to get my boat back together so I can get out!!!!!!!! see ya

10. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey Chris, if your dad's arms are sufficiently strong he may be able to use one of those cast net "perfect throwers", or whatever they're called. If you look in the Bass Pro catalog on the cast net page there is a device that you apparently load the net onto, and it looks like you can throw one handed with it. Just thought that might be worth a try with a smaller/lighter net.

Good luck

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Dad said he left his light on this morning and went out about 4 AM and had hundreds of perch and crappie under the light. He didn't have any minnows so they were hard to catch. He said he got a few perch on a crankbait and also got a 20 inch striper. He threw out a live brim off his dock around sunrise and had a 20-25 lb. flathead hit it. He got it landed. good morning i guess!

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good trip Mac!! As for the secrets count, here is how it stands:

Things Dieter has taught Mac...1
    Things Mac has taught Dieter...1,347

I still owe you a few. :big_smile: