Lake Norman December 26th

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shimano, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well my regular fishing partner was rounding up all his tree stands today and my oldest daughter was to go fishing with me this morning but she woke up with a bad cough so I left out alone. Boy did they miss a fun day. Since I caught the nice blue on Sunday I had my mind made that I would pull bait early then put it on the anchors for the rest of the day and thats just what I did. I started out pulling bait north of the 150 bridge and picked up one striper and a large mouth. I went to my first spot on the anchors at about 10:00 am and picked up a couple more stripers. I then decided to go south and try another spot. I caught a couple of greenheads, a striper and a nice flathead in the 30 pound range I thought he was bigger than that because he was 43 inches long and mean. I used live gizzard shad for bait and the flathead hit one about 13 inches long. I normally dont catch flatheads this time of year so it was kind of a suprise when I finally got him up to the boat. I called Mac and asked him to come down to his dock and photograph it for me since I was by myself. After we photographed the flathead and released him I left and went back north to the same spot I started out at and put it back on the anchors and got 6 more stripers and two blues one about 3 pounds that was snagged in the back and one about 16 pounds. All in all I had a blast today just wish I would have had someone to share it with.

Shane

Attached Files:

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here are a couple pics of the blues. Not real good cause I had no photographer....:big_smile:....Notice the little one with the hook snagged in his back.

Attached Files:

3. CRAPPIEMAN

CRAPPIEMAN New Member

State:
    GASTONIA N
    looks like you had good day nice flathead

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Shane, I have caught about 6 or 7 cats hooked in that exact place. They are all smaller ones, but I have yet to understand how that happens. It's always hooked right by the dorsal fin. Anybody have any ideas? How deep are you catching the stripers anchored? I've only caught them anchored fishing up river in the spring. Good trip man!!

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris 20-25 feet of water seems to be the sweetspot for me right now. I also have an idea how these smaller blues get hooked in the back. The first thing they do is roll up in the line when you hook them so if sometime during the fight the hook pops out of their mouth it has to unwind around their body and right beside the dorsal would be the point where it would hook up again. Maybe not what happens but its my best guess.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man Shane, you got me all excited over that little guy:wink:

Thats a heck of a fish man, especially for this time of the year! Congratulations, doesn't it almost make ya want to quit fishing for those little fish with the silver and black stripes :smile2:

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Good report and a great day to fish yesterday.

8. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

No sir....I'm going to the big water next weekend up around the Chesapeake Bay for some big striper action! :big_smile:

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That sounds like some serious fun there Shane, be sure and let us know how it goes for ya. The stripers in the river here have been going crazy with some nice fish (for this area) being caught almost every day, shoot I even caught one and you know they've gotta be thick enough to walk on if I catch one :smile2:

I know what ya mean though, as much as I like fishing for cats I won't ever stop going after those little green dudes!

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree Shane I have had that happen on several occasions. I bet you thought you had stumbled upon another Hawg fighting a foul hooked blue. Congrats on the Flatty.:big_smile: