Lake Norman Dec. 21st

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shimano, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went down to the lake this morning and fished the upper end of the lake above the 150 bridge. Got some nice stripers early and a dozen or so green heads. The wind started howling at about 11:00 so we put it on the anchors and threw them out on the bottom in about 20 feet of water. Bait of choice was all live gizzard shad from 5 inches up to about 8 inches. Got a couple more stripers and three catfish two of which were teenagers and one nice one in the mid thirties. It was so windy my scales were bouncing between 31 and 36 pounds so it was somewhere in the middle of that. I didnt have my camera with me so I had my fishing partner take this one with my cell phone.

Shane

Attached Files:

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    BTW all these fish except four of the stripers which will be supper tonight were released alive and kickin.

Shane

3. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sounds like a good day except for the wind it was so bad down here i called my trip off i,ll get them after christmas

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great fishing report. Sounds like a good take on Lake Norman. The wind was....well....fun today. I was out in it on Wylie and had fun battling it. For those that ventured out the rewards seemed to be good. Fish were biting on LKW, and judging from your report on LKN too!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm curious as to what you are calling "greenhead"s ? I don't think I've heard that term before. Thanks. :confused2:

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Greenhead = Largemouth or Spotted Bass :big_smile:

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ah ha! Thanks. That's a new one on me. I'll try to remember that. :big_smile:

8. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We use alot of different names to describe them around here. Brother Mac refers to them as weakfish bottom eaters. We sometimes call them bait too!:roll_eyes:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    greenheads = green carp = largemouth or spotted bass = bait

All the same!!!!!! :eek:oooh:

After two of those "green carp" ate my $16 dollar a pound trout this week striper fishing the rest were introduced to the KNIFE and frozen for spring bait!! :crazy:

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yep, it's always interesting to hear all the different local names for fish around the country. Thanks for the feedback.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    what about Wacamaw? same as white perch? never heard that until I moved to NC. why wacamaw?

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    We call Greenheads Crab Bait. Makes for some real good conversations amongst the local Bass guys. But hey I enjoy a good bass as much as the next guy:tounge_out::big_smile:

13. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jerry I have wondered the same thing and awhile back Fatflattie mentioned in a post that Lake Waccamaw was absolutely full of them so maybe thats where the nickname came from.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'm not 100% sure but I think that Waccamaw perch are yellow perch but like I said I'm not sure.

15. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We call the yellow perch "coontails"

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, I've heard them called raccoon perch before.