Lake Norman Dec. 2, 2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Today I set up my catfish rigs the way WylieCat showed me last year and I caught fish, but I was after a monster blue. I used a spinner blade just above my hook with two beads in between and a no. 3/0 hook. My weigh was two large split shot because I was going to fish just like I normally do for stripers, but the prey today was a large catfish. I had four planer boards out and one slip float with a two oz. slip sinker. Bait today was no. 30 grade shiners. I left my dock at 10:45 AM and was back at a little before 2 PM. Wind was out of the SW at 5 to 10 MPH and external temp. was 39 degrees. Net results was two stripers, three eating size cats and three green weak fish. All of my fish, except one was caught off of a long deep point. After I found them I just made a circle over the area until I quit.

2. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for the report Mac!

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac surely your not gonna eat those green ones...lol.:wink:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Nope, don't eat them bottom feeding weak fish. If it was spring time, they would be catfish bait.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ...a man told me that if you want to catch a monster flathead in the spring you need to hook one of them one pound largemouth or spotted bass through the back and throw them out live for catfish bait....:wink:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    How deep do those split shot rigs run when you're slow trolling them Mac? To a non drifter it seems like it would ride too high in the water to get many cats like that:confused2: That is an interesting rig. I've been thinking about trying it in the river to see how it does. The past few trips I've made all my fish have been coming on Carolina rigs with the green float like you showed me, regular rigs arent even getting touched. I think the blade may add a little more attractivness to it:big_smile:

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Wes, sometimes I get them snagged on the bottom if I drift too slow or if the live bait is large enough to pull it down. The split shot is about the size of a pencil eraser. The last striper tournament we had, almost every boat caught at least three blues using this type rig (they don't use to spinner blade), some in the high teens. In the winter time, the blues are following the stripers for a free meal. Thus, they are right under the stripers at feeding time. They can be anywhere in the water column. I am glad the green float is helping you out. Just maybe, the blues can see a tad better than we think.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report and pictures Mac

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Mac, I Hate to bust ya bubble, but them ain't weakfish. Theyz green trash carp. And they absolutely delicious, try em sometime. I'm a thinking that the reason they got so popular as a sportfish is cause of the way they taste.

Thanks for the report.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The only fish we have on Norman that the public should not eat is the bass. They are at the top of the food chain and full of Mercury according to the State of NC.

11. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wonder how much change was plopped down by the plug chunkers to get the commision to add that to their report..lol :eek:oooh:

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hey hey hey, some of us are plug chunkers too:smile2: Well I don't throw plugs, I like topwater (if it wasn't for topwater I doubt I'd bass fish anymore) and worms but back to the point, I really don't like bass all that much. I only like the little ones and we can't even keep them down here.

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    According to Duke's biologist the bass (aka weak fish, bottom eater) has the highest Mercury level of any species on LKN.:sad2:

14. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Sorry Wes I didnt mean to offend ya..:wink:

15. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im no biologist but I would certainly argue that the Bass (aka Weak Fish, Bottom Eater, Green Head, Trash fish) are at the top of the food chain. If thats the reason for the high mercury content then Stripers and Cats should be full of mercury as well.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....the public should not eat is the bass. They are at the top of the food chain and full of Mercury according to the State of NC....."

Considering that a 45 pound flathead will EAT a 1 1/2 pound largemouth, and considering I have NEVER seen a bass fisherman throw a crankbait painted the color of a catfish, I would say largemouth are "near the top of the foodchain", but the catfish still calls the largemouth dinner! :smile2: