Lake Norman could drop 3 feet more

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yesterday (Jan. 4, 2008), Dan Tierney of the Charlotte Observer had an article in the paper stating that Duke Energy could drop the water level by 3 more feet, due to them installing a new system at their McQuire nuclear power plant that requires less water to operate. This would permit muncipalaties to draw up to 29 billion additional gallons for domestic use. All of this could come into play if we don't restore the water we lost by the spring rains. But, the outlook for this kind of perciptation is not good!

The adverse side of this situation is that, public landings such as Little Creek, which is only about 1 foot from closing right now, would be closed along with several more. It is possible that LKN could become just like Lake Wylie and only have one public landing available. Also, hundreds, if not thousand of boat owners on the lake would be left high and dry, like Santee Cooper, Lake Lanier, Wylie and other lakes. I would have 1.8 to 2 feet of water left at my dock if this came to past, just enough to get me out to the deep water.

The danger to weekend boaters could be great if they could get on the lake. Impact on business that sell bait, tackle, boat storage, lodging, food, boat gas, etc. would be felt. The physiological affects on the public as it relates to them fishing and hiring a fishing guide would affect over 20 fishing guides on LKN.

The sad part about the article is, that it did not say one thing about the public conserving domestic water use. :angry: My family is conserving water, why can't they?

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hmmmmmm....

Duke Energy will spend how many millions to access lower water yet they won't $100,000 to extend the boat ramps?

Well, I guess we need electricity more than fishing. Looks like Duke Energy has its priorities screwed up!!

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
  4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lanier will come back. If High Rock has more fish than ever and it nearly ceased to exist in the first drought we had.

5. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Let one politician or movie stars house burn down because of poor water access and they will be piping de-salinated water from the Atlantic!!!!!!!
    And the next time I see some idiot watering grass, washing cars every other day, spraying the windows on the house, filling up the new pool I think I'll just shoot em!

6. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will have to agree with that, the fishing on and above High Rock in the river is excellent ( I can only speak for catfish and crappie because that is all I fish for). Even during the low water and staggering heat of this past summer I managed to catch fish from this body of water.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I read this article several times and I don't understand why they say they "might have to drop the lake".

What am I missing? :confused2:

These people are running a nuclear power plant and they don't know whether or not they will have to lower the lake? I have to be missing something. :embarassed:

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Remember back when there was all that talk about pulling a bunch of water (50 million gallons a day) out of LKN and diverting it to Concord and the adjoining town. Don't forget, Duke sells water to all the cities and towns that draw it for domestic/industrial use. It looks like someone might be opening the door a little bit for this to happen. Just a guess.

But, on the other hand, if the drought continues, that will have waters available for Charlotte, Mooresville, Lincolnton and so on.

9. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    there is a minimum water discharge for dams . if you stop discharge
    what happens down stream ? do you get it now?the feds might reduce minimum if they do not get rain.but they will not stop discharge

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Duke Energy spend well over $2 million dollars on its PR staff, so I am sure they will have a good answer. :smile2: