Lake Norman catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bigbaldcountryboy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fishin in this hot weather is tough. Cat's were fussy today for me would only bite on bluegill,wouldn't touch live or cut shad. Caught a 16lb flathead and sorry folks but he's dinner tonite!

Attached Files:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sounds like a good dinner to me Bob! Don't you worry yourself none, most BOC members eat some catfish on occasion themselves :big_smile:. But YEP, CPR is a good thing. Think you'll be just fine and dandy around here, long as you do that for the 20 lbers and above :wink:. Welcome to the BOC bro!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One of my all time favorite meals is broiled stuffed catfish.
    Stuffed that is with crabmeat and liberal on the butter.

4. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes I do release almost ALL of the catfish I catch, only taking a few every now and then for dinner or for a backyard cookout. Gotta love those flatheads for eatin!

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    BON-APPETITE...:big_smile:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    excuse me if im wrong bro...but that fish in that picture looks to me like a channel cat.....and a good one i might add. possible state record....lol. really a flatheads eyes are located on the top of its head for starters. anyone else think the same? hope you didnt eat a state record.:smile2:

one more thing too...most flatheads have a under bite meaning his lower jaw sticks out farther than his top. in your case its opposite so another reason it looks to be a channel to me. nice catch though!

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Catfishrus, if you will go to his profile, you will notice that our Bro. has added another photo with himself, a catfish and a bass. It does not appear to be a flathead to me, color and head is wrong for a flat. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Still a nice fish. Bro., I hope you did not eat that bass. The NC Dept. of Health or something like that has posted a warning not to eat bass from Lake Norman. Now if you used it for catfish bait, you are a mighty fine man.

8. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Looks like a channel to me also, and a biggun! Happy eatin' Bro.

Mark,
    How bout throwing up a recipe for that stuffed catfish?

Mac,
    There is something soothing about cutting up a LMB for bait, now ain't it!

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    AMEN, Brother!:wink:

10. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, either way I ate it...lol......The tail didn't look like a channel cat tail,no fork at all. And yes I did eat the bass too, (although my mother-in-law ate most of it..lol)didn't know LN had an advisory out,guess we all gotta go some way :eek:oooh:

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    the best way to tell a channel from other catfish species...besides the obvious over-under bite /color....

is the channel cat will have a round anal fin with less than 30 individual rays....a blue will have a flat anal fin with 30 or more rays....

HAPPY FISHING!!!

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bob, not all channel cats have forked tails. There was a thread on this issue a while back. Maybe somebody else will tell us where we can find it.

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

awhile back when I met with the marine biologist to certify my former channel cat record....he stated the same thing you said (about the forked tail)...he added...while channel cats also typically have longer whiskers....it's not a rule

he said there is only one way to identify a true channel cat and that is by the individual count of rays within the anal fin (less than 30) and configuration of the anal fin...(round)

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    The state record white cat is 13 lbs. If I'm not mistaken they have 18-22 rays in their anal fin. I fished for several years thinking they were channel cats because they have less than 30 rays, until someone showed me the difference.

15. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Well,you guy's all got me going on WHAT kind of catfish this was. I looked at the carcass and it had/has a rounded anal fin with 25 rays. Also has long whiskers. I guess I messed up and ate a record channel cat after all. Just so everyone knows,they don't taste any different then non-record fish..lol. MY BAD. By the way,it seems ya'll are a great bunch of helpful people on here and I'm glad I joined, I can be dubbed the "Bonehead" catfisherman! On another note I'm getting my best bites in the AM hours in this heat on bluegill's anyone else finding the same? Can't buy a bite on shad right now. :confused2:

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    you now have opened up another can of worms...

if you look at a picture of the white cat that is displayed on the nc web site it appears to be a channel.....

white cats have huge heads in relation to their bodies....

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bob, don't beat yourself up, the BOC is here to help all of us learn. I have been catfishing for quite a long time and have been catching white catfish and thought they were male channel cats. Three week ago, WylieCat caught a white catfish while I was fishing with him and I just knew it was a channel, but he showed me the difference. When you stop learning, it is time to write a book or get out of the way. Mac

18. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    it's not big... but here is a picture of a white cat...

Attached Files:

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well it might of not been a record channel after all unless your scales was off because i looked and the new record now is 18.544 lbs. now the white cat thing....i have caught bunches of them at badin lake and some have a brownish yellow color to them and some look to have the same color of a small blue. is there two different white cats? i need to learn something too. im about positive the state record white cat right now is also a channel cat.:wink: look at a picture of it. it looks like a channel cat out of brackish water or a farm pond to me.

20. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    All the white cats I've ever caught were from the same variety as best I know. There's a little difference in their color depending on where you catch them. Falls of the Neuse in Raleigh is full of them, but it was just this spring that I found out they were'nt male channels myself. Been thinking that for close to 20 years. Learn something every day, Huh? Their head "is" real wide for their body size, Just like a male channel catfish, only difference being, the shape of a white's anal fin is much more round than a channel's and the number of rays he has!