lake norman area questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by snakecotc, Jan 13, 2006.

1. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    im planning on relocating to the lake norman area in the next year or 2 and i have a few questions for those of you familiar with the area.

are there any school systems i should avoid (due to drugs, violence, poor education)?
    are there any partcular cities, towns, or counties i should avoid?
    what are the best areas in terms of low crime rate, overall living quality?
    what areas would you choose over others?

i hate to make this seem like an essay, but im only familiar with concord and would like to be closer to the lake. im looking at spending around 100-115K on a house if that helps. also, im looking for a good school system/community to raise a daughter. the wife and i are planning on taking a long weekend to the area this summer and would like to have a better understanding of the area so we dont waste our time wondering aimlessly. thanks a million guys.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    snakecotc the problem i see you are going to have is the cost. you are going to be hard pressed to find a house in the lake norman area for the money that you are spending. i dont know the area that well but it is growing faster than anything in the this area. you are going to have to look at older houses, mobile homes or find a fixer upper. i think you need to look around the northern side of the lake. i dont know about the crime or the schooling. just my 2 cents. hope this helps a little.

3. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    i see what you are saying, i realize it would be pretty expensive around the lake. so we figured we would move in or around kannapolis/concord or even mooresville. i suppose i should have been more specific. i would just like to be in a half-hour's distance from the lake. thanks for the reply.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well if you move around Concord area at least you can go to Bass Pro a lot and see the catfish swimming in the big tank.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    snake you should be alright with kannapolis/ concord area and maybe even mooresville. i live in midland about 7-8 miles south of concord. i dont fish much on norman but we do have good fishing 30-40minutes down the road from concord at badin,tillery,tuckertown, and highrock. its not as crowded yet!!!the prices are high but arent getting any cheaper.work maybe hard to come by in kannapolis right now with cannon mills closing down. dont take this to the bank because you came to a catfishing page for reel estate questions. good luck:0a26:

6. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    i realize that. i just thought some of you guys in the area could give me some suggestions and i do appreciate the info you have given me. as for jobs, i would have to get a job for a law enforcement agency before i would move down. thanks for the info guys, you have given me something to think about.

7. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Snake, Catfishrus is correct, I live in Kannapolis and work in Mooresville. In that area, I am within 30 mins of High Rock, Tuckertown, and Badin, and I'm about 40 mins from Tillery and Norman. All of these lakes have pretty good catfishing. I actually prefer Tillery and Badin to Norman. Yes, Norman currently holds the state record, but the previous record was out of Badin and only a few lbs lighter. The problem with Norman is going to be learning the lake. Its about 30K acres and finding bait on the lake can be a real pain. I like Tillery and Badin because of their size, their about 5K acres each, and bait is realitively easy to find. The small size and relative abundance of fish makes them pretty easy to fish.

Also, the housing price points are a little lower in the Kannapolis/Concord area. Mooresville is booming right now with all the jobs from NASCAR and Lowes Home Improvement, ect. I actually work in the development field and could help point you in the right direction if you do choose to come this way.

With the way this area is growing, it should not be hard to find a job in law enforcement. My neighbor is a sheriff and Tomahawk (a regular on the site) is a Charlotte officer, So they could have some ideas.

Email me if you have any ???'s
    mhedrick26@cs.com

good luck