Lake Norman April 27, 2008

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I decided I would try something new this morning. I went to Piedmont Bait and Tackle and got some of the smallest goldfish they had. They were 1.5 to 2.5" (see photo at bottom. cork is 2 inches long) long. I used my regular hooks (7/0 circles). I fished from 7:30 AM to 11:00 AM and caught eleven blues from 2# to a little over 10#. I had wind out of the East and NE at 4 to 8 MPH and surface water temp. was 67 degrees+-.

The reason I decided to go with the gold fish is that the carp spawned a couple of weeks ago and I figured the cats would be looking for thier babies. My Friday fishing partner, Cliff, was using white perch and only got seven blues, but he did get a 17.5 pounder on a big white perch head. We were fishing out of seperate boats.

2. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, I've been using the same bait lately and having same success you are. However,if you can get the brown colored "gold fish" they seem to catch bigger fish. I've caught 4 flatheads this past week on them from 8-18 lbs., and all were caught on the brown ones.

3. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    That looks like one heck of a fish fry waitin to happen!!! Good lookin cats Mac. Congrats

4. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    so the carp have already spawned ? thanks for the info.

5. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I must be useing the wrong kind of bait I have only caught 4 catfish this year all channels oh well maybe this weekend. Thanks for the info

6. flo

flo Member

State:
    fay nc
    my name is flo and I fish the cape fear river all the time , but I hear a lot of good thaings about lake norman but i would like to know do you drift or still fish at lake norman

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Flo, we do both, drift and anchoring. But, in the Spring and Summer it appears that drifting is more productive. Lake Norman has little or no current, which is not ideal for still or anchor fishing.