Lake Norman - Any luck catfishing this lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by btilley, Oct 17, 2008.

1. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Has anyone had any luck fishing LKN recently? Ive been out a few times in the past 2 weeks and have almost been skunked everytime. Just a few small ones scattered in.

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I havent been out latley Bryan due to the absence still of premium gasoline but I have talked to a few folks who have been and catfish have been slow according to them as well. Stripers however are feeding pretty good in the feeder creeks near the main channel.

Shane

3. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    you talking about creeks like stumpy creek?

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah Bryan Stumpy, Mountain, McCrary, and Hager creeks in particular.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bryan, cattin on Norman is the pits right now. For the past three years, the latter part of September and first part of October have been transitional periods. Add to this, the fresh water we got from Fay and it adds up to poor fishing for cats. They could be heading to their fall/winter feeding areas and some will be following the stripers and getting their stunned bait fish. I have turned down all request for guided catfish trips during this period. Right now, I will take my chances with the stripers and white perch.

I will offer you this suggestion. If you only want to fish for blue cats, follower the center of the creek channels and offer them small live baits or small cut baits during the daylight hours. For flatheads, stay in close proximity to the schooling white perch and offer the flatheads live white perch, size does not matter. Also, a 3/4 to 1 oz. jigging spoon will tag a flathead if it is around the white perch.

6. btilley

btilley New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    thanks for the info, guess its time to start looking for some striper