Lake Norman Alert!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In the recent past, Duke Power Co. has let fishermen cast nets over the skimmer wall (long brick wall located close to the Catawba Hwy. 150 bridge) to catch bluebacks and threadfins but, no more. You will get a ticket from the NCWL officers for doing this deed.

The actions of some fishermen brought about this situation. They were connecting to Duke Powers electrical outlets (where the red lights are located) and using this power source at night for their lights to draw the bait fish. Water and electricity do not mix and this was deemed a dangerous situation. Thus, the actions of a few have eliminated a good bait source for the rest of the good guys and gals on Lake Norman.

As a Commissioner of the Lake Norman Marine Commission, I and a local fisherman, representing the NFA, plus rep's from Duke Power will meet this coming Wednesday (22 nd.) to see if we can work out a compromise to the benefit of all. Mac

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Let them know I am upset....maybe that will help. :wink:

If that don't work, then tell them I am REALLY UPSET!! :angry:

3. shooowhee

shooowhee New Member

State:
    north carolina
    new to the area did not know about this issue , but thanks for the info

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Last time I looked Dieter that was just a stone you were standing on not some big pedestal! :tounge_out: LOL

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Meeting with Duke Engery went well today and here is what was decided. It is illegal to remove or destroy the red lights on the skimmer wall. It is illegal to stand on the skimmer wall to fish or cast a net. It is illegal to tie up to the skimmer wall. All of these items are safety issues and you will be charged for encroaching on a register property by the proper officals. You can cast a net over the skimmer wall as long as you do not violate the safety issues mentioned previously. Violation will be a felony charge.

With the lake at it's current level there is no way you can cast a net across the skimmer wall without violating the rules. But, when waters return to normal levels you will be able to cast your net without any problems. Also, during current conditions there is very few bait in the target area due to the hot water. Thus, the skimmer wall will be a target area during the winter, spring and late fall. This settlement is something we can live with on LKN and we appreciated Duke's interest in the fishermen/fisherwomen.

Someone wanted to know who WylieCat was and why he was so upset. I told them that they did not want to wade into trouble waters by pursuing this line of inquiry. :wink:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    felony charge? thats sounds pretty strict to a hunter or a gun owner for that matter. glad i dont have get my bait at the wall i guess. its a shame it had to come to this though. i would keep a eye on this subject because it sounds like to me they won the first battle if you can even call it a battle. i guess they can do what they want to and its nice they still let you do what is allowed. could this be the start to stopping all fishing behind the dams aswell? i understand something had to be done but a felony charge to me is real serious. why not a big enough fine to discourage folks from doing anything? thanks for the update.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Catfishrus, if you hunt on someones land that is posted and you get caught, the charges are the same as the skimmer wall. That's the law, not something Duke decided.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well im going to go ahead and fess up i was caught trespassing as a teenager in the town of concord back in my crusing days....lol. i got out with a 10 page essay to the judge on "why i should respect the property rights of others" and not a felony. i think they call it a prayer for judgement...lol. our car run hot and we pulled over in a posted parking lot. guy stopped to help us....well he was standing beside me in court along with 28 others at one time. thats my story and im sticking to it.:smile2: i wasnt even driving but the driver did ask the judge what his other options where....lol. his option was 3 years probation,30 days in jail with a suspened sentence an so much fine. not a felony. its kind of funny now but there was 28 teenagers that day that stood up in front of the judge all at one time for trespassing. judge started at z and went to a. our drivers name started with W. he was the only one out of 28 to take option 2.....lol. so i have a little history for you on the trespassing.:smile2: i also have a good friend i was teaching to catfish when they pass the domestic violece law we now have that means if you have a domestic charge against you then you can no longer own a gun. well the law showed up at his house and collected a bunch of hunting guns and took all his money from his business and hes now doing time for it. this guy served his country with honors too i might add. just got caught in a felony charge when the law was passed i believe back in 97. ive never heard one person say a bad word about this guy either. he just got in a argument one day and was charged with domestic violence which is now a no gun law or felony.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The charge for trespassing at the skimmer wall is a fishing violation, not a felony. The felony charge was for something else discussed. Sorry I made that error. Mac

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well this is what our country has come to , makes no since to me, any excuse to take someones guns, I know there are some cases that it needs to be done but not that one, and thousands more like that . I would get in to who not to vote for in 08 if you don't want it to get worse, but this is not the place to do it....:0a19:

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    if you cant do the time dont do the crime if it wernt for laws this whould be one bad place to live we whould probly have to go to mexico or cuba boy i like this place an most of the laws.:wink:

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree roundhill. i just thought a felony charge for getting a little bait was pretty serious. i was thinking dang how much is that dozen?:smile2: thought i was going to have to borrow some money from you there for a minute.

13. CMJ

CMJ Guest

You're right this is the best country to live in , no doubt, I just think some of the laws need some fine tuning. You forgot to add something. If you can't do the time don't do the crime, ( unless you have the money to buy your way out). This has nothing to do with fishing so I'll rest my case.....:smile2:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    :confused2: 32,000 acres of water and over 500 miles of shoreline and they are arguing over 500 yards.

Perhaps if some people had not been stealing to begin with none of this would have ever happened.

15. gatecitycattin

gatecitycattin New Member

State:
    nc
    I am looking forward to catching me a mess of bait when the water comes up this fall! Thanks for the hard work.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm gonna stick to shad, bream heads and white perch:smile2:I have confidence in them!!