Lake Norman 6-25-08, perch, bass and cats

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Yesterday I was on white perch big time and another guide called me and wanted to know if I was fishing and I told him that I was and that I was on the mother load of perch and bass. I was out scouting and he had a party of five. I fished the area for another 45 minutes and left the other guide and his party there to clean up. They ended up catching over 175+ white perch, six bass in the three pound range and a couple of small channel cats. I left with somewhere around 40 perch and a flathead. My fishing time was two hours and his was a tad over four hours.

The reason I am posting this is to let you guys know that this is the prime time for you to catch some perch and freeze them for later on. They are currently in the back of small coves/bays in 20 to 30 feet of water and are hitting red wigglers, white and green jigs and the Sabiki Rig. Don't let this opportunity pass you up. Mac

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks for the info Mac, just wish there was anywhere other than Lake Waccamaw to catch white perch down here:smile2:

3. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I know the white perch are great bait. How do they stack up as table fare? I know yellow perch are fantastic eating but they tend to come out of colder waters.

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The larger ones are great cooked with the bone in. The smaller ones make great catfood, bone in ofcourse.

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac, what is the best way to freeze them for use as bait later? - How do you think frozen stacks up to fresh. I have frozen shad and they are real soft when thawed and don't seem to attract cats.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac

Bill, I vacuum sealed my white perch alive or as close to that state as I can get them. Then I freeze them and when I thaw them out they are just as fresh as when I vacuum sealed then and in some cases they will have blood come out of them in the package. When you take them out of the freezer, be sure to cut a hole in the package to keep the sealed package from drawing additional blood out while it is being thrawed. I and others have found that there is no major difference in the two (live or frozen), except the live ones, when cut will bleed more.

I quit freezing shad for the reason you mentioned in your post.

PS, when vacuum sealing live bait or dead bait with sharp dorsal fins, be sure to put a paper towel or small piece of newspaper in the bottom and sides of the bag to keep the dorsal fin from punching a small hole in the bag. If this happens, you will not get a proper seal.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks Mac!

I have a vaccum sealer and will give it a try. Will look forward to not having to worry about bait when it gets cold

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Heck, the lakes I fish usually have bait available year round so I've never messed with it. I've only saved back to take to the Congaree in the spring, but I can run by Joe's in Rock Hill and get 6 dozen shad for about $30. so really it's not worth my gas to make bait trips.

9. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Where is Joe's in Rock Hill. I did not know you buy Shad at any of the bait shops.