Lake Norman 11-18-06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by miichael, Nov 19, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well got down to Lake Norman after some blues Saturday. We got a late start and got put in about 8am. We caught plenty of fresh shad and first we tried anchoring down. I had one rod out and baited another and casted it out and before i could bait another the clicker went off. I reeled in the first blue around 5lb. Then before i got the hook out of him the other clicker went off and i reeled in another blue. We was thinking man this is going to be great. Then we didn't get another bite for 30 minutes. We stayed at that spot a hour and then we decided to drift. We drifted rest of the day and caught 9 fish total ranging from 4lb to 13lb. At least we didn't get skunked. I got my biggest blue @ 13# and my uncle got his biggest @ 9#. Now we got to target some big fish. We got a lot of hits but we missed them i think because our hooks was too big. We had 8/0 King Kahle and the fish we was catching was small so they couldn't get the hook half the time. Next time were baiting up with 5/0 Kahle hooks and giving it a try. Here's a few pics.

2. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    sounds like you all had a good trip. Where did you put in and where did you get shad? What area of the lake were you in? I'd like to learn to fish Norman, but it can be tough sometimes. Thanks!

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We put in at long island water temp was 56 degrees. We drifted the main channel and just picked up a fish here and there. Didn't find many at all. Fished 8 hours caught 9 fish so wasn't that great. We caught shad at night. That's about only way i can catch bait unless I'm below a dam. Night time they dont see the net coming :lol:

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We fished lake Norman again today and only caught 3 fish biggest was around 10lb blue. Put in at long island and drifted a few coves and ended up all way down to hot hole. Caught plenty of shad but couldn't find any blues. we released the fish to catch another day. maybe next time.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Man, if you're fishing up that way this time of year, you need to try after some stripers. They been catching them up there good this year. There are some bigger blues in Norman. I got a 22 lb. blue one time on the southern end of the lake near Governor's Island.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yep i figured the blues be hanging out under the stripers and feeding on what they leave behind.

7. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Whats the average size striper getting pulled up there ?

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Average on Norman is around 4-5 lb. around 20" long. I saw several over 10 lb. come out of there this last spring. The fish are getting bigger every year. There is a lot more bait in there than there used to be.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A guy I work with is a striper fisherman he fish's all the tournaments on Norman. most time a 5 or 6 lb fish can win the tournaments. They aren't allowed to fish up in the river though. Hes been catching them in rocky creek.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, usually a fish that size will win the tournaments. What is the guy's name you work with. I know quite a few of those guys up there that fish the NFA tournaments. They can't fish above Buffalo Shoals Bridge.