Lake Myers Flathead planting

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hear_kitty, Jan 24, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Kent County Lake Myers County park 9/14/1994 1,203 5/10/1996 1,507 any one out there have any info on this lake any info would be great

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Amazing, I've been looking at the same lake. I'm interested as well. Any of you catmen from Grand Rapids know anything about this lake, or the county park. Is there camping aloud? Is it easy access? Help is appreciated.
    Sparky

3. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    do you guys mean Meyers lake near rockford, in kent county? i've never heard of any flatties being planted, but i don't know quite everything.....i'll look into it and see what i can find out, as soon as i know we are talking about the same lake.

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Must be the same lake! Found the numbers posted above on the dnr site.Mybe no one nows or the ones that do keep it to there selves! But the dnr don't have maps of kent county lakes yet! Any info would be great!

5. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i'll make a few calls, and check out the park itself this weekend. It is only about 10 miles from my place. i dont know if they will allow camping tho. the park is on a strip of land between two residential areas. the lake is about 99% year round homes. i cant remember off hand if the launch is public or not, but i think it is. I'll know more after the weekend. I still want you guys to come and fish the grand with me this summer. later guys.

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    It has been a long time since i fished the grand and that was for smallmouth up buy jackson prision. But i'm willing to give it a go! With the numbers of flatties that the dnr state they planted with you living so close that might be like hitting the lottery!

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hello guy's. I'm new here, just found the site. I also saw that Meyers lake received some Flathead plantings. It also holds a decent # of Muskies. The lake is pretty much surrounded by private land. I know there is a public launch, a friend of mine fishes it for Muskies.

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Welcome RiverKat to the BOC thanks for the info on the launch. Do you now if it is dnr or private pay.

9. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Pretty sure it's DNR. Just talked to my buddy today and he didn't mention anything about paying.

10. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i was trying to find the website the dnr posts it's fish plants on, but couldn't. would one of you guys let me know where you got the information on the flathead plants in meyers lake please?

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Jon,
    Good to hear from you. Sal, and I were just talking about you a couple of days ago. We both were wondering why you never responded to the Meyers lake post, But I see you have now.
    Hear Kitty (Don) sent me the planting data on the lake, but I'm not sure where to find it myself. I'm sure Don will get back to you.
    By the way, I'd like to come and fish the Grand with you. Is there a place to camp by the river and fish?

Hey River Rat, Welcome aboard!
    Sparky

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    jspiel go to www.michigan.gov/dnr/ click on "fishing" on the left than scroll down to the bottom of the page mich fish plants! click "flatheads" then put in a starting date and ending date and it will give you a list of all the plants in several lakes hope this helps!

13. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    thanks for the link Don, its gonna come in handy this year.

can you believe it. those flatties have just been swinning, eating and growing for 10-12 years, just waiting for us. the planted fish were just under 5 inches long when they were planted. if im not mistaken, the average growth rate of a flathead, in its northern range, can be up to 6 inches and or 2.5 pounds. MAN....that math boggles the mind.........cool ain't it?

i am going to try to find out who is the head of the Meyers Lake Assoc. and see what he can tell me about the plantings, the lake useage, and their feelings about people fishing after dark. I hope to have some more to pass on next week. until then, keep praying for warm water.

jon

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jon,
    Thanks for doing the leg work. It's hard to believe that this lake is full of who knows how many Flatheads, and nobody knows. Or maybe it's Michigans best kept secret. Anyways, this was going to be one of my first places to head this spring. I'm three hours away, so the work you are doing will sure cut down on scout time for me.
    Thanks, you da man!
    Sparky

15. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    OH.......you thought i was checking this out for you guys??????????? :cool:

of course i'll be happy to sample the waters and let you know how the fishing is. (ill put the info in my christmas cards) lol

seriously, its my neighborhood, so of course ill do the legwork. just like you would in your own areas. hope to have some news in the next week or so.

PS

somebody make sure Vic gets the word. we sure can't leave him out of the loop.

16. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    I just got back from Meyers Lake. There is definately a county park there. you can access two different lakes from the park. There is no boat launch in the park. although it is a county maintained park, the lake association sets the rules. the oublic may not launch as much as a blowup raft, let alone a canoe or kayak. you must be a member of the lake assocation to use the locked boat launch. even if you own property on the lake, you cant put in a dock or a boat unless you are a paying member of the association. i was able to talk to a couple non-political anglers that live on the lake, and was told that they had not heard of the Dnr plant, but that isnt strange, since the association works with the Dnr on that kind of stuff, and there are only 5 members of the board that can vote.

apparently about 15 years ago, there was a big problem with residents of grand rapids coming out to the lake and taking over the park at night. partiyng and using and selling drugs and alcohol to the local minors. the lake property owners did what they had to do to get their park back. Now that the problems are no longer there, they decided to keep the park for themselves.

In summary: yes it is technically a county park, but it is kept gated and locked by the members of the lake asociation board of directors......

unless somebody in the BOC lives on the lake, or knbows somebody that does, we will be limited to fishing from shore (there is only one fishing bench faceing the water in the entire park) between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm.

i'm still going to try and get hold of one of my local DNR fisheries managers and see what they have to say about the situation, as well as the law enforcement division in Kent county.

I'm sorry i dont have better news. are any members of the BOC attorneys that specialize in reparian rights laws??

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    My first question is how do five people end up in control of a county park! 2nd how do they control the right to use the lake and what you can launch from county land! Yes they own the land around the lake but not the water! I understand that they had some problems in the past and don't whan't that again! But this is not rite! All people of kent county pay for that county park and should be able to use it and the lake! As far as the dnr stocking fish in there the fish they are stocking in there comes from all the people in michigan when they buy fishing licence! Why should we pay for fish that we are not allowed to fish! just my thoughts

18. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    you took the words right out of my mouth. i don't how they took control, but they sure act like they are in control. if the DNR lets them make the rules then i guess they are in control. of course i'm the kind of guy that likes to push the envelope. i plan on fishing there this year, from shore, and as late as i can stay awake, or until the county sherrif tells me i have to go. i don't believe in loud or violent protest, but i do believe asking questions, of the proper authorities, until i get the answers that i am after. So you guys, its time to start passing the hat to cover my bail money........there is no way i'm gonna let 12 year old flatheads, that havent had anything to do but eat and breed, go unexplored.

i bumped into a couple guys at work today that have fished the lake over the last few years. (one guys grandad used to live on the lake) they said they had never caught a cat there, and didnt know they were even planted. never even heard of anybody catching one. Its up to us to prove they are there, if we wanna tell anybody.......lol

i'll be going back out there every couple weeks to talk to people, and i'll keep reporting back, on what i find out. Almost forgot, i'm waiting to get an appointment with the local fisheries biologist to see what they can tell me about the flatty survival rate in the lake. She was gonna get back to me sometime this week. Hopefully she likes to chase 'ol whiskers too.

guess thats all i have to pass along for now. later guys, and keep wishing for warmer water.......

19. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That would'nt have been Amy Harrington would it?

20. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Let Me Dig In To It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!