Lake Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by barraGouda, Jul 23, 2007.

1. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    hey guys,

i enjoy reading the forum, but i don't see much about lake murray. i know there were some posts about the time that dude caught the biggun while back.

i don't get the chance to travel with my boat too far. can (will) anybody give a newbie some pointers for lake murray. i'm hoping to get my father in law on some fish this weekend.

thanks guys.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Pierce, welcome to the BOC. :smile2:
    I wish I could help you out, but I've never fished there...yet. We are discussing having a little get-together there in September, though (http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53552). Hopefully someone will jump in here and offer you some help.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If you are familiar with the Santee style of driftin thats gone be your best bet right now.The upper portion of the lake will be the best bet (little and big Saluda arms) although the numerous feeder creeks off the main lake will be good also.Make sure you fish shallower than the thermocline or at least the same depth as it.Theres plenty of blues, channels and white cats to catch and a flathead every now and then too.If you prefer to anchor, anchor on the points and humps at night close to deep water and fan cast the baits.If you just want to catch fish have some nightcrawlers on hand but have cutbait (herring,bream, white perch) out for the big ones.Shoot me a pm if you have more questions.

4. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    chris blue is right!! i live on Murray and fish on Murray, but your gonna deal with one major problem right now!! crazy,crazy, crazy boat traffic!! worst i've seen in four years!!! the lake is up and people come to play!! if your gonna fish for catfish, i would go out at 10pm and fish till 5am, and then get off the lake!! good luck!!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Chris and Tony nailed it, both make good points about Murray. If you don't/can't fish at night try going during the week. The weekend traffic is horrible there.