Lake Murray Fishing Report 20081210

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zmany2k, Dec 10, 2008.

1. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Anyone hitting the water today? (wed 10 dec) If i can i'm supposed to be hitting up murray with my buddy Derek. Think he's wanting to concentrate on crappie, but we're probably going to give the blues a shot if we can while we're out there.

i mean, how can anybody resist?:roll_eyes:

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good luck out there today may get alittle nasty.

3. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    yeah, i'm expecting that, but it's a last chance effort before i go back to ohio. Even if we get skunked, i'll be glad to be out on the water.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Luck Zac,Knock them Duds Dead.J.D.:wink:

5. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    What a wierd trip.

Everything went normal for the most part. Took way to long getting to the water since my buddies boat we just found out has dropped the #1 cylinder, so we went onto Ft Jackson and rented one instead.

Finally got on the water at about 2:45 or so in the afternoon. tried a couple spots to no avail, went to a trusted spot we'd done well in before, and started hooking some of those crappie-bluegill hybrids called shellcrackers.

Had a pole out deeper for any occasional catfish that may have been straving to death out there.

Fog started to roll in at about 4:00. By 4:30 it had just started to rain a bit but we stuck it out until about 6:00.

the ride back to the dock was slightly harrowing. Came cruising into some shallows areas twice in the dark (hard to see them buoys in the dark). First wasn't so bad as i was expecting it, just wasn't paying enough attention to the depth finder. we went from 20ft to 6ft in seconds, but never got shallower than that.

then, halfway back to the dock in wide open water, there's this brilliant blueish-green flash behind us. I slowed down to an idle as i turned around to look at it. It was weird. Looked like the light was exploding from the ground about 15 miles away. it was a fan of light shooting more or less straight up. almost looked like someone was over there pointing 400,000 powerful lasers at the sky, but it pulsed a bit. the whole experience only lasted about 3 seconds and went out.

that's when i noticed just how far away the banks were and realized how deep the water was. Scared the crap out of me. Thought maybe it was a meteor or something that hit the ground. It's hard telling, but i know i wanted ground under my feet right then, and the closest ground was 75ft straight down.

Then i barely got slowed down in time for another isolated shallow spot. I got the boat stopped in three feet of water. we were cruising and all of a sudden i saw buoys. I slammed her to nuetral, and then reverse once she'd slowed down enough to shift without stalling. That's how i got her stopped. then i trimmed up until the prop was above the bottom of the stern and motored out nice and easy.

Bottom Line... I went fishing today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great way to end my experience in South Carolina. I've had a LOT more fun down here than I thought I would.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That sounds interesting for sure, any time I am on the water and the sky starts lighting up I start looking for cover off the water.

7. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Sgt Zac, first of all, let me offer my deepest apologies. I know I told you that we'd go fishing, but there's been a lot going on and I'm sorry that we didn't get to go. Second of all, I can tell you had a good time while you were here. I know I'm not alone in saying that I hope you come back to visit us when you get a chance. Hooah, brother....I can't believe I said that. It's usually "oorah", but hey, people say weird things sometimes. :smile2: Just remember.....ARMY: Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet.

8. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Cover was definitely what we were looking for. I have no Idea what that was, but we never heard anything. It looked so much like an explosion. Actually, if any of you see anything in the news about it, could you let me know? It's killing me wondering what it was.

I'm so glad that you've finally gotten over being a marine once upon a time. I mean look, you actually spelled Army right!:smile2:

But hey man, don't worry about us not heading out. I Had a great time while I was here, and I caught a few kitties to boot. I'm tickled pink. I've also learned a few new rigs and methods down here that i'm going to try in Ohio.

I'll be back eventually. Probably in the spring. Me and sunbird need to tear up Monticello. Maybe me and you can tear something up too.

I'd also like to look into doing some trout fishing up in the mountains. Haven't had my waders on in awhile.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <then, halfway back to the dock in wide open water, there's this brilliant blueish-green flash behind us. I slowed down to an idle as i turned around to look at it. It was weird. Looked like the light was exploding from the ground about 15 miles away. it was a fan of light shooting more or less straight up. almost looked like someone was over there pointing 400,000 powerful lasers at the sky, but it pulsed a bit. the whole experience only lasted about 3 seconds and went out.>

Wonder what the heck THAT was!?

BB in SC

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    That is my question. It definitely brought out the pucker factor in the ol' backside.:embarassed: I was waiting (well, actually cussing the boat for not moving faster) to hear something or maybe see a 10-12ft wave coming towards us. It really did look like something exploded.

Maybe it was a UFO!!:eek:oooh::crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    OK, Even though you are a visitor it's time to drop the mother load on ya!:eek:oooh:

Team Smackdown has been workin on a new "method" for catching cats. I really wish I could tell you more, but being in the Army is not enough of a credential to access this "Top Secret" information. I will say that the only testing that was done, on said evening, was Pop Pop merly cracked the lid on the titanium box!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh: We hope to put in a full days test in the very near future, Saturday I think. I have really said to much!!!!:wink:

Maybe when you return the production will be in full effect. Pop Pop said it needs to come with a pair of "Very Dark Sunglasses". The Dr. has assured the team that his vision will return to normal. We were able to wash all the cat slime off him following the test. It is potent!!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    It was good to meet you while in the carolinas. Wish you well back in ohio.
    As far as the green lights go. my wife and two teenagers saw a green light moving in the sky about a year ago. it was sighted around charlotte from monroe to above huntersville. It said in the paper that their was almost a hundred sightings. Nothing has been mentioned of the green light since.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I see green lights all the time I thought it was normal.:smile2:

14. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Was that poppop's new miracle stinkbait then?

Thanks Lindsay, it was good to meet you also.

As far as lights in the sky, I've seen meteors come down everytime i've been to murray in the dark. Actually seen one hit the ground the night John, Derek, Sunbirdjr and I went. It was maybe 20 minutes after fohn and his boy left. Then a few i've seen out there burn up on their way in. All of them were this same shade of green when they were burning in. I didn't see anything flashing through the sky this time, but it reaining pretty god and the cloud were heavy and low. All I saw was green light coming up from behind the treeline that was really far away.

James, I think you've been sniffing ron's stinkbait a bit TOO much. :smile2:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've seen those electrical transformers blow up and it was blue and green when it happened....it was pretty bright, in fact really bright . One time I even saw a car hit a pole and the transformer blew sending lightning looking current down to the next pole. Then the pretty colors started after that.......pretty freaky really.

Maybe something along that line is what was seen....burning copper , just my guess.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was thinking transformer too.
    BB in SC

17. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Never thought of that. Makes a lot more sense. That's probably what we saw.