Lake Murray catfish?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by barraGouda, Sep 7, 2007.

1. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    hey y'all... got another lake murray question for you.

the lake has turned over and the oxygen levels are all screwed up:eek:oooh:, which has caused the striper bite to pretty much shut off. does this have the same effect on cats? should we wait a while before trying some cut bait action? are there any techniques that work better given these conditions than others? or.. .should i spend my bait money and time on more beer and football and wait for the lake to get right?

thanks!!!

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the lake shouldnt turn over till the surface water gets cooler than the water below the surface. it usually happens around late oct here on hartwell prob later on murray. read that murray is having a fish kill now because of poor oxygen levels in the lake so you just got to find the best water quality you can and you should find the stripers. they have been catching some down around the towers at the dam. dont have a clue about where to find cats at might could try some shallow water close to deep water, around or above the thermocline

3. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    thanks for the reply.

from what i've read on other boards, the oxygen levels in the lake are an annual event, brought about mostly from the lack of rain and therefore the lake isn't being replenished with a fresh source of oxy. "turnover" may be the wrong terminology given what you've said which makes sense.

still, the low oxygen and the rapid drop in surface temps over the last 2 weeks made me think that the lake was turning. :confused2:

4. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    dnr estimated that there was about 1200 dead stripers on the lake yesterday! it's poor oxygen levels, there not smart enough to stay above the thermocline! but it is there nature to seek cooler water!!
    as for catfishing, you need to fish in the big creeks in 30 feet of water or less!! they are biting well. i caught five here at the marina in the middle of the day in five feet of water on stink bait!! all very nice eaters!!
    good luck!! and have a great weekend!!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats a lot of stripers. Thanks for letting us know Tony.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy I read some where a yr or two ago that one of the pumps they pump water with is down where to thermocline is and that it sucks alot of good water out which makes it worse. forget where I saw it at but alot of striper clubs tried to get them not to use that pump during the summer months for that reason, but for some reason they wouldnt agree to it. I will try to find it.

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    cant find it now but did see this which is a good sign.
    On a positive note, Hal mentioned that DNR has hammered out a new operational schedule with SCE&G that should pretty much eliminate these late summer kills. Unfortunately, the new schedule won't be implemented until November, unless this kill prompts drastic action.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats a bright plan wait til it cools off. Maybe next year they won't be killed off. But on a positive side the trout can live at the base of the dam.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I guess it is just a side effect of unnaturally trapping striper in lakes.

11. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    the kill seems to be slowing. last few times out i've only seen a handful. there for a week or so they were floatin all over the place int he big pool.

i did manage to catch my first catfish in almost 15 years saturday night. we anchored up in a cove, 30' or so, and fished cut bait. had a decent little blue. maybe 2# perfect eater fish, but caught and released to grow bigger.

thanks for all the help. i'm still new and learning! :cool2:

12. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I was down at dreher island sat on my way back from columbia and decided to see If I could still find it. talked to a guy at the ramp that fished a bass tourny and he said they saw a few floaters up that way sat. but not as bad as the week before.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I fished Murray for the first time Saturday. Thats a BIG LAKE! The best bite was up in the river section, and the mid and lower lakes were not that good.

I spoke to a couple of striper fishermen about the "lake turnover" and that is what everyone blames the poor bite on. I still feel that what is happening is not a true lake turnover. If someone can explain to me how a lake turns over when the surface water is 85 degrees I would like to hear it.

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    In the late summer, early fall, surface temp's. drop (cool nights and mornings) and thus makes the water on top/surface more dense (more weigh) and this affects the water on down until it reaches the less dense (lighter) water and this creates the flip (turn over). The reverse action happens in the spring. In full turnover the water becomes black and sometimes has a smell to it. This is due to rotten leaves and other stuff on the bottom moving up to the surface or close to it. Mac

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dieter, I don't think it's an actual turnover, as such. Maybe it will help to quote from an article published from the SCDNR:

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Excellent post, Tommy - makes lots of sense.

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I agree Tommy, and tried to explain the "squeeze affect" to some anglers I spoke to down there. People can really get mad when science gets in the way of what they have believed was true!! The surface water temps are just too darn warm for a true lake turnover to happen at this time of year, unless there is something going on down on the bottom that is producing or releasing heat.

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    BTW, I fished Murray Friday afternoon and Sunday before and after the gathering.

The bite was bad...at least compared to my home lake. Part of that could be blamed on the fact I have never seen that lake before in my life!! I was also clueless as to where to start. Saturday I fished the upper river with Chrisblue and did manage a 10 pound blue and an 8 pound channel cat in addition to some smaller channel cats.

Water temps were 81-84 degrees, very little wind on Saturday and 10-15 on Friday afternoon. Water very clear.

That is a huge lake!!! Santee is big, but I can find my way around down there a lot easier. All those dang islands make navigation difficult to a novice like me!

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Super post Tommy!

20. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I am like you dieter, I dont see how a lake could turn with the surface so hot. I know it makes striper fishing real tough but dont know how it effects cats. another easy way to tell if its turning besides the discoloration and the smell is the water behind the boat will be foamy kinda like sewage water when the boat is moving. the lakes in the upstate normally turn in oct to nov. so the lakes farther east are prob acouple weeks behind the upstate.