Lake Murray Catfish Halloween Treat 10/31/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by pop pop, Oct 31, 2009.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Well my catsmacking partner in crime Sunbird and I hit the big Murray today for some blue cat action.:cool2: We spent the day drifting with large threadfins and gizzard shad that we had kept in our Yahoo bait tank. The water temp was 66.6 degrees and the blues were biting good east of marker 22 on the down slope of the island.

We had lots and lots of fun, and spanked 19 nice ones today. 7 were between 18 and 22 lbs.:big_smile:

All fish were released.

Attached Files:

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Are you sure about that Pop Pop?:eek:oooh: I thought it was the "up slope" of the "Submerged" island. Also I think we were more like southeast not east.:roll_eyes:
    Anyway, I had a blast spending the day with Pop Pop and a REAL Slap-A-Thon did take place today.....................somewhere...........near a slope and an island. I do know the total weight for those 19 fishes was 239lbs.:eek:oooh:

P.S. Steve B. "GET OUT OF MY HOLE"!!!:wink::smile2:

Attached Files:

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Thats BIG STUFF i like it!!!!!!!Heck i love it!!! Smack one for me boys.

4. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a heck of a trip, on halloween no less. Good job guys!!!

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Great trip guys...I'm jealous ; )~

-Jim-

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Okay Sunbird, I'm out of your hole. Gotta be careful where you say that, if somebody ain't a fisherman they might take that wrong! I THANK WE ACTUALLY OUT SMACKED THE SMACKERS! Sorry, the caps lock got turned on. We ended up with 22 total and several over 20 pounds, largest 24 pound 14 ounces. We used blue backs all day, some fresh, some frozen.

Sunbird, if you use the frozen ones you need to hold ém in your mouth till they thaw. Before you put ém on the hook, of course.

It was great to hook up with Pop pop and Sunbird, as long as Pop pop kept his shirt down and you stayed up wind from them all was good! One big wave came through, white capping. The first thought was Pop pop fell overboard! Man, it was like a redneck reunion out there, with all of us in one area of the lake. We just needed out little buddy Patmansc and all would have been fine.

I've got some good pictures, just got to find my cable and remember how to post them.

God Bless All,
    Steve

7. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Boy! Sounds like the BOC boys put a whoopin on Murry! Congrats :smile2: BTW..... Where did yall get them Halloween costumes? :smile2: SPOOKY​

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Now i don't know were i want to go Murray or Wylie. Glad ya guys got a new yaba, yaho or whatever fish tank.:big_smile: Congrats on the catch
    Wish ya had called me and there would had been one more redneck boat on the water:smile2:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip Doug, Congrats and good luck in the future

10. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    I've got to stop all this hunting and get to fishing. Congrats on the great on the great day of fishing guy's.:smile2:

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve, that ther is a public water system and all my holes is yo holes too!!!:wink:
    I am somewhat rested and my mind is a bit clearer now than when I posted last night. I had been up for 43 hours when I turned off the TV last night. :embarassed:
    I remember it like this: Stevie and his buddy Butch were sittin on the side of the highway acting like they had some motor trouble when Pop Pop and I cruised by in the 'BIG STUFF' mobile. We knew it was them but acted as if we didn't and headed to a secret place. You know, east southeast, around an island, over that submerged island and on that up slope or was it the down slope? Anyway, these two yahoo's come rollin in there like they own the place. They were fis, HEY!!!!!!, wait a minute, maybe they do!!:eek:oooh: Hey Poppie, we got spanked by them yahoo rednecks!!:embarassed::confused2:
    BIG STUFF hearby declares REMATCH!!!!!!

Lastly, Steve tell Butch those were some AWESOME sausage biscuits he gave us! Ya know.........., you guys are alright, brought us lunch and all.............:smile2:

12. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Steve it was good to see and talk to ya again. We all had lots of fun.:big_smile: It was so cool watching each other catch those fish. Sorry about the big wave, I just moved from one side of the boat to the other. Congrats on the Cat Smackin! Ya'll had a great day.:wink:

Keep working on Butch to joint the BOC.

13. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    It's always good to run up on some brothers on the water.
    Sounds like a great day uhfishing wish I was there with yall.

14. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I wish I knew Big Stuff about Lake Murray,never Catfished it before,only Stripers.One of these days Team Green is gonna load up and head that way and test some new waters,I cant look for PopPop and Steves smoke signals anymore so I am gonna have to come up with a way the find this Upslope or Downslope near an island.I guess I will just have to look for a Tsunami when PopPop changes position.
    Anyways Yall guys had an awesome trip Congrats on that again.Looks like the Catawba CC might be looking closer at adding another Lake to mix next year.:wink:

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Marty and Steve, when a fish puts the Smackdown on a rod and the BIG POP POP jumps for it, I grab something solid!!! He almost sent me into the water multiple times yesterday. That and the Bass tournaments that must have been going on, like fishing on a freeway!!! Had several pass REAL CLOSE doing 70mph+!!!!:eek:oooh:
    Marty, Murray would be a great choice for a tournament! Team BIG STUFF Tackle likes that lake alot!:wink: There was a Catfishing tournament on Murray yesterday, we (Steve and co. & Team BIG STUFF Tackle) were the only people near that up slope island place!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: Wonder what the winning weight was? We would have been able to take 5 fish, about 100lbs., to the scales. Steve would have beat us!!:embarassed:

16. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats on the smackdown Pop Pop and Sunbird. Fine job as always. Gotta hook up with yall one of these days. You guys fishing Hills Tournament in 2 weeks?

17. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sunbird and Pop Pop,

Butch kept up with the numbers yesterday, I wuz to busy reelin'in them big fishes and feeding my face. He says our top 5 was just shy of 120 pounds. Must be why my shoulders are sore today. I've never caught a real hog on Murray, just lots of quality fish. Yesterday almost everything was fat blues, I usually get a flatty or two, but not this time.

Guy's, it's always a blast fishing around ya'll, and I hope to many more times. It's a comfort to know that there are other nuts on the lake besides me.

Hang in there with the smoking Pop Pop, I'm off them 22 weeks now! You can do it!

God Bless All,
    Steve

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not a bad day for a couple of yahoos!! :wink:

Bill in SC

19. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    wtg poppop sunbird-steve and friend. thanks for shooting all the pic texts. i forgot my phone charger and had to turn off the phone for return trip.
    Pretty good catches for a couple boats of yahoos.
    :smile2:

20. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    all hale the yahoos!!!!!! awesome catch guys, keep it up:wink: