Lake Murray Catfish Fishing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ClickerCrazy, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ClickerCrazy

ClickerCrazy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello everyone, my name is David Hall and I will be coming down to Lake Murray with my father the week of March 19. My dad is 100% bass fisherman, but I primarily fish for BIG Flats on the Ohio river around Marietta, Oh. Havn't been able to find much info on cats in the lake. Tons of stuff on Sante, but we are going with his bass club, and he won't want to leave the club. I will have access to a boat. We will be staying around Lexington . I would really like to try for some nice blues, since we don't really have them( not in size or #'s anyway ) this far up the Ohio. I have always heard to fish the drop offs, but what kind of drop offs? around here that would be around 10ft down to 20ft of water, but since the water is deeper there what depth should I look for? Do you want drop offs in deep water?

Thanks in advance!

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive never fished murray, but this is what I would look for. Buy a map and look for creeks, rivers, channels, roads, etc that run through lake. If youve ever driftfished id try drifting across those. Drifting is always good if you dont know the area or there is a slow bite, because you cover more ground. Sure some of the brothers who fish murray can help you more.

3. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    hey!! my name is Tony and i live here on Murray, i fish for cats here exclusively! right now the lake is eleven feet low due to more work being done on the dam! there is a ton of secondary and main lake points on this lake, baitfish are just now starting to run in the back of the creeks real heavy! but only after the sun has been out all day, so evening fishing is better, not mornings! get on the secondary points in the back of the big creeks, halfway back!! anchor down in at least twenty feet of water and fan cast the points!! you can use as many rods as you want, i use at least nine rods! if that doesn't produce then move to the next point! don't sit for no more than thirty minutes! move,move and move some more!! cats are moving, you won't find concentrations of them! if your not seeing bait on your fish finder, then move!!! stripers you'll also catch! you need to use fresh bait not frozen! get some herring from any bait shop!! the points are very,very obvious right now with the lake being low. good luck! any more questions please ask! beards creek is very good, so is bear creek!!!

4. ClickerCrazy

ClickerCrazy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. How will the water being down effect the fishing down there? Are the fish used to it? Twelve feet sounds like alot to me, but I'm not used to big resivoirs like Murray. How is the fishing down there right now? My dad goes down there 2 or three times a year, but this will be my first trip. What is an average bluecat go in this lake?

Thanks for the info guys, I really appriciate it!

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Welcome to the BOC, David, and good luck at Lake Murray. I've been wanting to fish there but haven't had a chance yet, so I'm looking forward to hearing how you do.

6. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    the fish are very used to the lake being low!! as a matter of fact this lake is alot easier to fish when it's low because the good long points are obvious!! much easier to see!! fishing is kinda slow right now. water temp is around 52 degrees! the majority of the blues are up in the rivers! average size is not very big, maybe around ten pounds. they stock thousands of stripers in Murray every year! there eating machines! i think the blues would get bigger and more numerous if the striper population wasn't so large! thats just my personal opinion! good luck and good cattin to all!!!!