Lake Murray 11/12

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Nov 12, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and Brandon (beufort) went sailing on Murray today.We managed to slow down long enough to catch close to a state record white perch, 2 blues and 1 big white cat.Not a real good day but I was grinnin like this :big_smile: when we caught the first blue because we've got another good blue cat lake in SC and hardly anybody realizes it.We marked alot of big fish but we couldnt get anchored on them because of the wind.All this time I've been driving right by Lake Murray to go to Santee and Monticello when they'res been big blues in there.

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Like how big of a blue are you talkin' bout! I have been down there and caught some in the upper teens.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We didnt catch any big ones today about 6 lbs was the biggest but like I said we marked some big fish but couldnt fish em.There was a ton of pictures on the baitshop wall of 30 to 50 lb blues that come out of Murray.It just wouldnt the right conditions wayyyy to windyyyy even with a 10 foot drift sock it was to windy.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris was that was wind or current?:lol:

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Whichever one it was it was wayyy to fast.:lol:

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    O yea man, my family has caught some beast out of there..... It is just a far drive for me to make by myself.

7. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Fishing murry today was fun i was really excited to see all the pictures of blues on the bait shop wall, but i wasn't so sure about murry blues until we boated a couple. I can't wait to go back in better weather.

8. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The wind on Murray can be tough especially yesterday...where did you guys put in???

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We put in at Riverwinds landing.There was a big congrgation of fish about a half mile below where the big and little saluda meet.The stripers where suspended from 25 to 30 feet and the big blues where on the bottom under them but we just couldnt fish em.I cant weight to go back when I can actually fish like I want to.

10. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Riverwinds is a great landing...I usually fish the lower lake...but have been up that way quite a few times...especially this time of the year when the stripers leave the large pool at the lower end of the lake.

Why couldn't you fish the blues...were the stripers taking the biat??? Fish are always in the channel right there where the rivers converge...I fish the channel a lot...all the way to the lower lake...

I'm planning on fishing Murray Friday night and Saturday...cats Friday night and stripers/cats on Saturday....depending on the weather...

Keep me posted on your next trip...

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We couldnt get anchored on em because of the wind.We where also moving to fast while we where driftin for any good sized fish to chase the bait down.Good luck, I would recommend that area because they are there.How long has Riverwinds been there?

12. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The wind can really make a trip awful...at leasy you guys got a chance to fish the lake though and caught some decent fish...what depths were you in???

Riverwinds is pretty new...its only been there a couple of years...I think the landing opened up in 2004 or so...they are planning to add on a lot of other stuff there too...cabins and what not...

Dreher Island State Park is another great landing...its not quite as far up as Riverwinds...and you can get to the lower lake in petty good time...

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    What fish we caught where from 22 to 32 foot but they where some big ones in deeper water but the wind just wouldnt let us fish it.

14. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    thats a great area that you were fishin!! a buddy of mine caught a 48 pound blue in that area last october! i've been fishin in rocky creek and hollow creek the last two days, did fairly well considering the way the weather has been lately! good luck and keep on fishin!!!