Lake Moultrie Winter Fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 13, 2006.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Time to open a new thread, me thinks, for the winter fishing series. Bait is starting to school up near the dam, water temps are down near 50, things should really start picking up anytime now. Y'all come on down, ya here?:cool2:

2. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Here's a couple of sonar recordings from yesterday. Lots of baitfish. These happened to be deep around structure, but there are plenty in open water, usually schooled about 20-25' deep.

Attached Files:

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh: Jeez I love those Lowrances.Great to be able to record and playback also.Lots of bait in there and a stack of fish.Might be stripers also.Is that in front of the dam about halfway down on the other side of the lock there is a building there that really shows up nice ,see if you can shoot it the next time.:lol: :smile2:Boy I am dumb those are the doors.I thought so when I first saw the scan because they just jump up so quickly.Lots of bait there.During the tournamnet there was a lot of boats around there and lots of bait also.

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I didnt see this thread at first. Anyway, Im off to the water. Ill post a report n the mornin. God bless.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks tommy. i dont know if i should say this or not but that should be flathead heaven in the fall.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, both of those recordings came from the area of the 'doors', but I did get some pretty good one near the dam, too; not of the building you spoke of though. I'll have to look for that. I'm still playing with the recording feature, can't get the right date to show up on the sonar viewer, got to figure that out. You may be able to read the coord#'s on the pic, it's no secret. There was plenty of bait in that deep water.
    Michael, I'll have to get with you some time when you're down and get you to show me how to fish for those flats; that's something I've never done a lot of.
    Mr. Phatkat, we have got to hook up real soon, man. You make me jealous! :wink:

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    will do it tommy. its all location and looks like you know a few and i bet one of them has the fall flathead on it stacked too.:big_smile: only problem is being able to anchor up in that rough water but it can be done. i may come down this winter and try for them winter blues. never been down this time of year but always a first.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ya killing me fellows.........killing me,,,,,,,,,I gots to go

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Here's a couple more for you, Foxhound. Some in front of the dam, and some others out from Bonneau Beach. Some of these appear to be stripers, with a few cats on bottom if you look close. Some of the big fish are mixed in with the bait schools but they can be hard to pick out. Look for a pm.

Attached Files:

10. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went this past Sunday to the lock at Pinopolis.
    Marked plenty of bait, but no "big'uns"
    Caught 1 cat about 15#'s on a Gulp bait.
    Do you think it needs to get a little colder still and stay there for awhile?
    Plan to do some fishing during the Holidays?
    (Pinopolis Area and out of Randolph's).

Keep us posted on any activity and I'll do the same.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, James, and welcome to the BOC. If you like catfishing, you're in the right place.
    The water needs to get a little colder yet. The cold front last week helped some, but it is warming up a little again right now because of the sunshine and warm days: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/u...&format=gif_default&period=4&site_no=02171645. When the water gets much below 50 deg. the shad and other baitfish become more sluggish and die off faster, so the cats just kinda follow around for an easy meal. Usually by Christmas the water is pretty good.

12. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Do you think small bream will work just as well as shad during this time of the year? I have a pond at the house and sure it easy to get a whole bunch of them with only a few casts of the net.

13. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Tommy,
    What kind of fish finder do you have? I really like the color it gives.
    I have an older Lowrance, but it just doesn't seem to pick up the details like it should.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, I don't know why, but I've tried bream from a couple of small ponds here at home, and the fish just don't seem to want them very much. It's worth a try, though. I trim part of the tail fin on the live ones to make them struggle a little more. With dead ones, I find the head section and gut pocket work best.
    As for the sonar (notice I don't use "fish-finder" :big_smile: ) I'm using a lowrance lms-337c right now. I had an X-107c before, and they both perform about the same. What model do you have? The new units just seem to get better and better, but some of the older ones do just fine for these waters if adjusted properly.

15. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy, Great Job, Thanks for the information, and great picture too, after seeing this I'll be changeing electronics. I'm pretty busy until after the first of the year, Will the winter bite still be going on later in Janurary?

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Eddie, the fish will still be biting in January and beyond. Actually, you can fish that area along the river channels and catch fish year round. During the prespawn and spawn they may scatter a little more, but there are always some fish to be caught there.
    Sadly, there are lots of times when the sonar shows a lot of fish, many of them are likely catfish, but they haven't invented a device yet to make them attack the bait at my discretion. LOL I'm working on that....

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy go to the set-up feature and set your time and date,then you will get the correct info on your recording.It probably wasn't done as part of intial set up.It will also tell you moon phase etc.:big_smile:

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Jim. I'll check that. I just assumed it got that info from the satellite signals.
    Oh, here's another good shot of fish just hanging around the deli for an easy meal: looks like maybe some stripers up high and probably cats down low.

Attached Files:

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats one good lookin pile of fish right there.They are pretty big too.

20. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i guess i should have found the extra $100 to buy that unit. oh well. thanks for the pics. what is the doors made up of. i have seen it a few times out there. i did not know what it was. i still have not gone yet. i might go sat.