Lake Moultrie - where to get bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mjokerr, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I was wondering where in Lake Moultrie you can catch shad or herring?Do you just use a castnet or do you have a certain rig to catchem?Do they travel around the Bushy Park area?I would like to try to catch some for fresh bait.Thanks for any or all responses.

2. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can take a cast net to the lock at the lake and cast around the lights at night...i have a 20" net and easily catch 100 to 200 herring and shad BIGGER than those that are sold at bait stores...one 2 THROWS!! if i stayed out one night there and casted 20 or 30 times, i'd easily catch a couple thousand or even a few thousand, but it gets exhausting tossing a 20+lb net and dragging another 20+lbs 20ft from under the boat!!! hope this helps. let me know how you do.

3. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sorry for the late response been working a lot here lately.Getting in the way of my fishing time.I will try this weekend,weather looks to be nice.Get back with ya to tell ya how it went.Thanks for the tip.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey flathead22 can you catch those shad and herring all year long (below the dam) ...or just spring...

I am trying to get down there in May....

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am going down there Memorial Day weekend. Will the shad/herring still be there at Pinopolis Lock. I know the water down there is pretty deep. They must stay in that deep water during the day and come up at night?