Lake Moultrie Trip 6-8 PB Blue Catfish Caught

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by buster1395, Feb 8, 2009.

1. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    My friends Mel and John took a trip down to Moultrie the last few days with me. The trip went very well except for the very slow bite. I think we picked up 14 cats in 2 1/2 days of drifting. It was all worth it in the end because about 2 hours before time to go home I was able to get a new PB 32 lb Blue Cat. I have caught a 60lb flathead at Santee before but this was my largest blue cat so far. I think this Blue Cat put up much more of a fight than the 60lb flathead did but I caught the blue in 50ft of water so that had a lot to do with it and I was only fishing 3ft deep when I caught that flathead over near Angels landing about 3 years ago.

The weather was just perfect all weekend and lots of fisherman were out Saturday. All our fish were caught 48-55ft deep. Not a single bite any shallower than that. Also had lots of quick pull downs and releases on the rods. Had some other reports of the same issue with several fisherman.

We had lots of laughs and learned some new areas on Moultrie I never been to before. We even learned how to catch a huge bird with a fishing rod. Just make sure when casting out your drift lines he's ready to fly down and grab the bait soon as it hits the water and you'll hook into the bird. Boy was that hilarious. He was released safely after I got my hook out of his mouth. I will post a few pics of the trip.

Attached Files:

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Glad you had a great time while fishing. How was trailer #5? Still fairly nice? Since atkins didn't have bait where did u get yours at?

3. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I got gizzard shad at General store in Santee on my way in. I called around after i got there and nobody had herring anywhere. I'll pm you the details of my experience at Atkins. I will say here though that its not nearly what Blacks is but it was convenient to the areas I was fishing. Very dangerous water going in and out of there.

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Chris thanks for the report and the pics!
    I understand the "Pelican" catching, James and I caught one the other week!:smile2: We weren't lucky enough to land ours, trust me we tried!:crazy:

Glad you got a new PB!!:roll_eyes:
    I am sorry I wasn't able to give you a better report from our trip earlier in the week, it was to DANGEROUS on either lake that day. Let me know when you are coming back, maybe next time I can go with ya or meet you on the water.:wink:

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the Pb blue and pelican Chris and glad ya had a great time.:wink:

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats on the PB Blue.

That Pelican catch is something else. :smile2:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks for the report guys and Congrats on the Pb Blue !!!

-Jim-

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Chris. Glad you guys got some fish. Pelicans don't count, though. lol
    Be aware that those Brown Pelicans are protected by law; I know of one guy that paid a $500 fine last year for striking one with a boat paddle when it came too close.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What about throwing 3oz sinkers at them.LOL They can very brazen and aggrevating at times. Chris congrats on the new PB and a greast time fishing.

10. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    glad yall had a good time buster,i wish i could have video the bird catching and unhooking,i suspect it was pretty funny:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Chris,
    Congrats on the new PR! I think we were drifting beside you guys on Sat around 10:00 off of Navy point a good ways. My dad, newphew and I were in a small white Bayliner with a black trolling motor and six rods out. Two were large green surf rods. The wind had died and we were trolling from east to west beside you guys?

We didn't do so well on Sat but we caught some really good fish down that way on Sun morning drifting up against the drop off at Navy point. One was a PR for me as well although I'm not sure of the weight, "didn't have scale". It was the biggest fish I ever caught!

Tommy, I'm glad you said something about those brown pelicans. One was begging so bad early Sat morning I thought he was going to get in the boat with us. I told my nephew he was going to have to fight him for the bait if he got in because dad and I are too fat and old!

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You don't want to have to fight one in close quarters, because they will regurgitate when they get excited! :sad2: lol Best thing is probably to just ignore them. If you ever throw food out, they will remember your boat forever. :wink:

13. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Yeah my wife has made that mistake, they wont leave me alone and they will get in the boat.

14. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the new PB and hope you top it soon

15. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Congarads on the PB chris

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I'm just glad to hear that none of y'all fell in, laughing. I know those guys too, Buster. They're a hoot. Glad y'all had a good time. Y'all gonna go for Round 2 in May?