Lake Moultrie Small Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shrimp Man, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I told my wife last night I'm going back to Moultrie in the next day or two, She asked me to catch some small cat (2 Lb's or smaller) she likes to cook them on the bone. I have not fish for a small channel cat in at least 10 years, HELP , Do I need to look at the same depth. same areas, where I find Big Cat's ?
    Eddie

2. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    if you want small cats, fish about 20yrds above bridge at canal lakes, last time i was down a family staying next to us at canal lakes caught 60 plus 2-3 lb channels from that area, they were using a stink bait they got at canal bait shop. They were fishing from the bank just passed the floating dock about 20-30 yrds out.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Eddie, there are tons of small eaters most anywhere. During the day, drift from 20' and deeper. You can catch them on almost anything: cut bait, earthworms or stink baits. Use like 3/0 circle hooks or 2/0 J-hooks should be all you need. You should be able to catch them in the same areas you've been fishing. That area between short stay and the dam is good along the dike, depending on wind direction. Just pick an area so the wind will allow you to drift the humps. The canal is also good, like Bob said.
    What area do you live near? There's a front coming through on thursday and the wind will probably change to the south. You could put in on that side of the lake and stay in calmer waters.

4. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    my son and i are going out on saturday. the boat has not moved in months. that is the area i am going to try. i put in at short stay and fish the channel wind permiting and around the dam. i will let you all know how i do. i hope we do ok. my sons attention span is real short he is only 5 and has been begging me to go. i wont be able to go for about a month or so after this weekend due to hernia surgury. i have to go i have THE ITCH. pain or no pain im going!!

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hope you get out there and have some luck, Nick. In the post I made above, I was talking about putting in on the south side of the lake in a south wind; someplace like atkins, or the public landings along the west dike. Even there at shortstay should be ok, though up near the dam area. Just have to watch and see what the weather is gonna be....

6. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I cleaned out the boat, Charged the batteries, All ready to go this morning and here comes my daughter with problems, As bad as my fishing fever is right now, I have to put family first, So I spent the day looking after her.
    I appreicate the advice and direction, I'll just have to put it on hold until next week.
    Tommy you brought some light to one of my problems about catching the small cats. I fish with 9/0 and 10/0 J hooks, So before I go I'll get some smaller hooks. I live in Charleston therefore most of the time I launch out of Atkins Landing.
    Nick, Let us know how your trip turns out.
    Eddie

7. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i know the son of atkins landing he was in the coast guard. i never asked him where it was though. i live in summerville and it such a long haul to short stay. would atkins landing be closer for me.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, it would be a little closer, but not significantly, due to the driving time. It would depend on where you want to fish. If the wind is from the south, it might be worth it. There is also a public landing in that area. If the wind is from the north or n-w, it can be kinda rough taking out or launching at atkins.

9. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i cant wait to go. i just want my son to get 1. did you ever find the mullet for bait. charging the batts as i type.

10. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    where did you get that pic(map) from?

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, I use 'Hot Spots' map in my garmin gps, and that is a view from the computer screen. I just copy and paste it into a photo program. If you don't have something like that, I would suggest you pick up a good map at one of the tackle shops; one that shows the contours and everything. It would likely help you locate areas to drift.

12. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick,
    Tommy is right, If the winds are out of the North 15mph or higher, just getting the boat on and off the trailer can be a challenge for me ( I forgot your in the Coast Guard ) If the winds are blowing hard from the north I will put in at Blacks camp.
    Eddie

13. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i had a map from the tackle store. i left it on my coast guard boat in the tackle bag. can you please email me a pic of the short stay area. the map i had was off quite a bit. it might have been out dated.
    hatzistefa@bellsouth.net. i have a site that i can go to but, it does not show contures. is anybody else going out this week end. the wind is going to be 6mph NEN. that will be just fine. i hope.

14. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i guess the one you posted was of short stay.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You've got mail, Nick. Hope that helps you.

16. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    thanks alot. i now have something to go by. what time of the day do they bite best. on saturday i wont be able to get out there until noon. my son has karate and is going for his next belt. i will be there. i hope to stay out untill 5 or 6. i hope the wind stays down. i want my son to get at least 1 fish. hoping for a few though. is anybody going to be in the area. i am in a silver alumacraft boat. the big guy and the boy. come say hi.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, you're welcome, buddy. Hope you get some. The time of day isn't terribly important, but I would focus on the deeper water, 35' and deeper. The wind doesn't look too bad http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/sx/sxus42.kchs.rec.chs.txt, so maybe you'll do well. The area n-w of atkins should work pretty good that day, lots of humps out there. Start drifting over toward atkins or Lion's Beach if the wind is from the southeast like they're predicting, and make long drifts across those humps. From the dam back toward the point off short stay is good, too.