Lake Moultrie SC Jan/1/09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Capt. Darryl Smith, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    We started the New Year off right on Lake Moultrie at Santee Cooper. We had a 12-18 mph NE wind first thing. I found the fish with electronics hanging 40 feet deep in the bottom of one of the channels that run threw the lake at 7:30am. The wind was blowing across the channel so I set a drift with cut shad to go across the channel. First 2 minutes drifting we boated the first catfish of 2009. It was a 29 lb blue following 5 minutes later with a 26 lb blue. At 10:30am I had 5 fish all good fish when we lost most of our wind and finishing our first drift. When I went back across the channel I noticed by ten the fish had moved to the east side of the channel wall. Wind was in the wrong direction but light enough for me to back troll. Back trolling we take 2 drift socks 10 feet in diameter out the front of the boat and put our motors in reverse and pull ourselves backwards where we want to go controlling our water deep more exact. I started back trolling the east wall and by 2:00 pm we had 441 lb of fish in the boat. We caught 8 fish over our 36-inch limit here. Giving us 7 fish over 30 lbs each. 25 fish total weighing 441 lbs. Nice way to start the New Year.

Attached Files:

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yes thats a fine way to start the New Year,congrats and thanks for the report and pics,I am sure those were some very satisfied clients.

3. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Mighty fine looking fish looks like yall had a heck of a day. I wanted to go fishn today but was'nt able to make, going Sat. though. Hope I do half as good as you guys did.:smile2:

4. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like an awesome way to start 2009!! Very nice looking fish and thanks for the great report, hopefully I will have my "new to me" boat in a ouple of weeks and can get back to fishing

5. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    man i have to go give that lake another try . i went there about 5 years ago and couldn't do anything right, capt darryl you are the man, i might just pay you to take me out and give me some learnin :embarassed: on that lake . rodger and dieter are starting to get me in the catfish way of thinking on these local lakes .

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Very nice start indeed!!:wink: I hope tomorrow is even better for ya!!

Thanks for the reports and the pictures, I enjoy reading them while I am at WORK!!!!!:roll_eyes:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....rodger and dieter are starting to get me in the catfish way of thinking on these local lakes ......"

Those are sweet words to hear !!!!!

8. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Nice way to start out the new year. Thanks for the pic's