Lake Moultrie Reports?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Nov 28, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Has anyone else been on Moultrie recently? I didn't think I was going to get out there today, but I guess I do have a guardian angel, after all. My schedule changed about mid-morning, and by a little after noon, I was launching from Bonneau Beach. Did not waste too much time looking for bait since I had brought along some frozen finger mullet. Started off drifting in 50' - 55' and near the main channel, where there was a lot of bait. I ended up with 11 blues, but no big ones. Everything I caught was under 12#'s, I'd guess, but still a great day. Weather was near perfect, just a light breeze from the S-W. The fish I caught were all in 50-55 feet of water, most on the bottom (that's where most of the bait was, too), but I did pick up a couple that seemed to take the bait as it settled to the bottom after casting. I had a couple of tight lines at 20' & 30', but they didn't produce. I also picked up 2 or 3 that hit when I used the trolling motor to increase speed from .3 mph to about .6. They would hit as soon as the boat picked up speed. Coincidence, maybe, but it happened several times. The smallest fish of the day somehow managed to wrap 4 lines together and also tangled in the drift sock tether rope. By the time I got all that straightened out, I was ready to call it a day; getting late and cloudy anyway.
    Water temp was 53-54. :big_smile:

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Tommy , Glad to hear the "angel" was looking out for ya'. :wink:
    Sounds like she provided you with some nice weather also! You on the other hand put the fish in da boat!! :smile2: I hope to fish Moultrie soon and try out some of my newly aquired knowledge of shad die off's. Thanks!!!

Alex and I drifted that area you fished today a few weeks ago and had little success. It was rather windy and we were not able to slow our drift enough. We talked with some others out there fishing and they were tearin' em' up. It was all about the speed of the presentation, so I believe your post. :wink:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report and nice catch.:wink: Sometimes the bigguns don't bite no matter what we do:eek:oooh:. I'll be spending some time soon with my buddy "The Roundhill". And I give a daily Report.:big_smile:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pop Pop you make sure you let me know when you are shackin up the old fatman and I will try my best to get down that way and hang out some. I plan to fish down there 2-3 times in the next few weeks.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    10-4 James!:wink: All I know is Roundhill called and said" Lets have some Smackdown Fun":wink:.

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    DITTO!!! :wink:

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Tommy,
    Me and a couple buds caught 5 friday in the river channel near the marion dam from 25-40' all on cut gizzard. Four eaters and one over 25#.
    None were caught until we started drifting. Folks that are anchor fishing are motoring around looking for shad schools and setting up on them.
    Lindsay

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Lindsay. It won't be long before the water gets cold enough to fish the bait schools, but it isn't quite there yet. When it gets below 50 I like to fish out in and along the edge of the standing timber; drifting doesn't work quite as well, then, although it can be done on a day with little wind, and tight-lining the rods.
    I noticed quite a few on Moultrie that were anchoring, but they seemed to keep moving around a lot; not an indication of huge success. :wink:

9. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks for the report Tommy. Just got back from Tenn to see my dad (87yr old) for Thanksgiving. He needed his freezer re-filled with venison. went hunting 6 times with 5 deer down, then he said QUIT!!! freezer full. Bigest was 8 point 17 in" on the curls. Seemed like they were every where this year.
    Haven't been on the water since June but am looking to start back catting on Moulitery very soon, weather permiting. Nice to hear they are still biting>

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, Tommy! Glad you got in 'em. The big 'uns always seem to bit when you least expect it! :wink:
    Bill in SC

11. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,

Must be nice.....We've been out several times to several different places and the deer just aren't there. I'm glad to hear that somebody's getting to harvest some....

12. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Thanks Tommy for the report. I want to go there this weekend but who knows. Gotta check the bank account and weather...

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Got on water about 10 Am and quit at 3 PM. Could not buy any bait this morning (long story) so had use some frozen perch. Got one 4 lb before 10:30 and got 16 lb at 1:00 and that was it for day. Fishing out of Angel Landing went down lake to 30 ft water and fished there. Nice day but bait is still scattered me and ducks located some couple times but bite was really slow. In fact think caught only two bits I had. Water temp 53. Heard reports of better results by others.

14. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    John I guess I am one of the others.
    Fished in 20 to 48 feet and like John could not buy bait had to use frozen shad.

The largest was 25 lbs that is two day in a row that the largest was 25 lbs.. caught several 15 to 20 lbs and the smallest being 4 lbs. Caught a total of 12 fish.

Today there was little or no wind.

This was on Moultrie.

John and I are going tomorrow so the kitties better standby.

Jim

15. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I had great pleasure of going out with Capt Jim (jK888) boy does he know the fish. We fished 35 to 40 feet of water and as in other days the wind did not cooperate very well but we managed 10 fish. 3, 5, some 10 to 15 lbs and one 54 lb all blues. It was super day but he did make me catch all he little fish while he only reeled the big one something about not stressing me.:smile2:
    It was great day fishing with good friend thanks Jim for super day. Going try and attach picture of the big one. Note Jim has really wide grin.

Attached Files:

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Now that is a report that I like to hear, JD. I'm sure glad you two were able to get on the fish, :smile2:

17. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Nice catch there John!! Thanks for the report and pic!!!

18. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    John, what a great report! Thanks for the pictures.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jim and Jon great trip and awsome fish. I hope to get down there in a few weeks.:wink:

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Another great day with Capt Jim out of Angel Landing. No big fish today smallest 5 lb and biggest 20 lb with 10 more in between mostly in the 10 to 12 lb range. We did catch a 9 lb channel that is a fish of note. Wind was light but steady. Fish were in deep water and bait is beginning to gather up very well. I have picture of 20 lb but am to tired to fix it to post will post it another day. I got get some rest we are going take my boat tomorrow and see if can catch some big fish.:smile2: we did get big cooler full.
    If you ever get chance to fish with Capt Jim (jk888) don't pass up the chance he super guy to fish with and can find the fish.