Lake Moultrie report 1/5

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by lakemoultrieblues, Jan 8, 2008.

1. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    We fished from 0800 to 1600. Caught 10, biggest was 29 lbs. We had one channel and the rest were blues. We caught 2 or three anchored in 49-50' and the rest drifting 30-35'. We used cut herring, shad and menhaden. The fish we caught were really scattered.

2. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Sounds like you had a good trip.Thanks fer sharin'!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for sharing, Mark. Much better day than I had on Sunday. Those beautiful bluebird days don't always make the fish bite. We had to work hard for what we got. When the wind dies, I'm hurting; gotta learn more about where/how to anchor fish those humps.

4. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy, we really had to work for what we caught. I did hear that one boat that was out before we were on Sat. had one 50 lbs. I think you will know who that was.

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, I heard about it. He also had a cooler full on when we saw him Sunday; made me feel terribly :embarassed:. Offered to let me follow him sometime, but said I'd have to wear a blindfold. :smile2:
    I guess that's why I'm a fisherman and he's a guide. :wink:

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report. Where did you put in at or mainly how was the water in the mouth of the canal. Did you get a water temp reading? Sounds like yall still did pretty good. Im with Tommy I really wouldnt even no where to start on anchoring in te lower lake.

7. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    We originally put in at Hill's. Before we could try to make it out of the canal, we had some motor trouble and had to trailer to Short Stay. the lake has come up a little and should have had no trouble getting through there but can't say for sure. We didn't have any trouble loading or unloading at Hill's or Short Stay.

Tommy, I think he had that box full, or close to it by the time we got on the water Saturday. Those fish quit about 30 minutes before we got there.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was over toward the diversion canal on Friday and the water was about 2' deep in spots, idling through in a 15' whaler, so planed off wouldn't be a problem. The lake did gain maybe 6" over the past week or so, but unless we get rain, it won't hold. Short Stay is still a good ramp, in addition to Hill's or Canal Lakes. Probably won't make it out any more this week, so y'all hold em down....

9. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    As dry as its been, you may want to check those cats for ticks!:tounge_out:

10. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Tommy, I would love to show you where I anchor & how I set up down there, but we would have to get out of the boat and walk quite aways on dry ground to get where I normally catch fish LOL.:embarassed:

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That sounds like most of my upper lake holes.LOL

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's when you use mud shad and catch mud cats. :big_smile: Patience, my friends, the rains will come......

13. hammertime

hammertime New Member

State:
    Ga.
    Rumor is that their going to dredge mouth of canal. Has any one else heard this. How about Blacks any dredging going on.

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    blacks could have bee4n to the canal by now but they desided to go down another 4ft had to get new permit the cor of eng dont do any thing fast but on a nother subject the fishing is great for size an numbers. take a kid fishing. see you on the lake ron howard

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    partner fished today with good sucsess cant spell anyway used shad in 12ft of water on lower lake if i give more detall he will get mad but not hard to figure out lower end coute two over 40lb hope this helps. ron howard

16. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ron,
    Thanks for the help. I hope to go Monday weather permiting, Did ya'll catch your bait? And did you launch from short stay?