Lake Moultrie Friday Night

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by krowbar, Apr 27, 2008.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to Moultrie Friday afternoon. Drifted from 10 ft to 30 ft with no luck. Marked alot of good fish holding at about 25 ft just couldn't get them to bite. Tried shallow right at dark hoping they would come in but they never did. Went back to the deep water and anchored out and in about 4 hours caught some good Flatheads and some good Blues. Caught total of about 130 lbs. Biggest being 30 lb. Flathead. Seems like from reports and my experience that these catfish are all over the place and aren't sure what they want to do right now. Probably because of this weather. Hell I don't know. Anyway here are a few pics of our catch. Had a great time. Should deserve a little reputation I hope. Right !!!

Attached Files:

2. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Never can catch a flathead on Moultrie. Was you using live or cut bait? Also how do you normally find flatheads there?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

3. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Thems some good looking fish! Sounds like a good night of fishing.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thank you for sharing your fisihing trip with us and sharing the pictures with us, them are some nice looking fish thats a nice looking blue catfish, and some flatheads catfish, thank you again for showing us your photos, keep up the good work and hopefully you will be able to catch some more fish.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jason we came down Sat around lunch and fished a tournament Sat night and the fish did seem to be scattered I will post a report.

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The flats were caught on cut bait. James let us know how that tournament turned out.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Turned out good for me.LOL I took 1st and big fish. Alot of big flatheads caught in the canal.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    That's the sign of a good catman! one who can drift and anchor. Nice catch. Thanks

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congratulations James on 1st place. How do you keep those big boys alive long enough to weigh in? Curious

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a 110 gallon live tank to put on the boat but I havent got it on there yet so I used 2 120 quart coolers with my air stones running in them but while I was fishing I had them on stringers each on there own stringer and I give them all 12ft of rope so they can get out of the hotter surface temps. Not too hard to keep alive this tim of year but summertime is a different story.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    thanks for the good info James

12. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Rivercat, that 110 gallon tank is the trick. I have a 120 gallon and even in hot weather we can keep (5) 30 pound fish in there for 20 hours with no problems. They are usually so lively it's hard to get them out of there unless you drain all of the water out. They are more livley when we take them out than when we put them in. We circulate water out of the lake through there and use an overflow hose to keep up. This keeps cooler water flowing. Have never lost a fish with this setup.

13. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.

Did you guys have a large turnout?

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not really Jimmy there was 10 boats but at $150 per boat the payout was good. I think these high gas prices has really put a hault on the turnouts and I thnk a lower entree fee will attract more fisherman.