Lake Moultrie Fishing Update

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Apr 24, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Hey All,

Went fishing in the lower lake yesterday April 23, 2007, Our Plan was to Bass Fish, Crappie Fish, Then Catfish. We put in at S&S boat Landing in cross worked our way into the Lilly Pads Area sto fish for bass, but no luck however we Saw Millions of GAR and CARP breeding. I couldn't get over the size of Gar we seen. Well as we worked our way back to S&S when we got back to the open lake, it was White Capping. So we decided to Go to west dike boat landing in Pinopolous since the wind was blowing out out of the South. When we got out there the wind was still an issue but we were able to fish. We caught 10 catfish, two 4lbers, and 6 pan size all Channel cats. The bigger cats lipps were purple and swollen, I believe they have been breeding or just starting. we were fishing the stump field along pinopolus in 4 to 5 feet of water. Used Sonny's stink bait, and the Green Catalpa in a small pint size container from walmart. Would have fished Rocks Pond, but Wind and a Jon Boat don't mix well.

Plan to go tomorrow.. I have to many chores to do today..

Zivetor

2. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I was out there sunday and fished all day and only caught 3 5-8lb. They just didn't want to corporate. I fished from the dike in the corner next to the hatchery all the way up to the shallows by the docks at ponil. point, I just could not get on them and they were real tight lipped, try;ed all kind of different bait but I got just enough for dinner and that's all that mattered. I might try the flats out from shortstay this weekend and see if they do better drifting.

3. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Gomer,

I usually call the bait shed at atkins landing and ask where thier biting and what thier biting on. I would post the number, but I have already been warned about advertising for people so I don;t want to get in trouble. Email me and I will give you the info you need.

The other day when I called, they said that the Bonneau side was doing well drifting with herrin. Also along the East Dike in about 20 feet of water drifting has been producing well. But I haven't fished there, I am simply going on what I was told.. But Good Luck...

Lenny

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I like them blue lipped channels!! Hormones are a flowing and the breeding is going to start when the magic amount of daylight and water temperature exist!!! :lol:

5. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Those guys at Atkins can be really helpful but be careful cause they can also be some cantankerous old codgers too. I once saw one of 'em scold a guide like a 3 year old for taking too much time on the ramp. Good fishing info though. They want you to catch 'em so you'll come back.