Lake Moultrie Dec 24

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by matt22va, Dec 24, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    We went out early this morning to try and troll up a few stripers at the dam. We got one strong run but the stretch 25 popped out. We trolled til about 8:15 and they never pulled water, so I didn't catch any fish. Not wanting to give up, we took off to canal lakes for some herring. Came back and drifted all around the dam and short stay, tryin to find that deep bite. Nothing. Went over around Bonneau and drifted for about an hour an half, started in 28ft and made a long drift out to 38ft. Nothing. I just don't get the cool water cattin. I marked very few fish, but I hoped the thing was lieing since I saw plenty of bait. Water temp was 48. Canal was drty and movin quick. I saw a guy back at SS that was fishin near me around the dam, 7 nice cats and a 32" striper while reeling up. Glad somebody caught em. Guess I'll have to start looking for a day to set up a trip with Ron again, we'll see what he can teach me about these cool cats.

2. flatsboat1

flatsboat1 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    was out there that day too. we ended up catching one blue later in the day. missed a few opportunities. what kind of bait are yall using?

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Herring, the guys that caught the fish were using shad.

4. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Do people still use herring?:smile2: Just about anytime you see Capt Darryl he will have shad, maybe a perch or to if he don't eat them first:big_smile:
    Ain't it about time to hit the tree's???

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I keep hearing about how great shad is,I have got to get with my buddy who has some and try it soon.Thanks for the report Matt.

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I can't figure out how to consistantly get shad, I pull one up in the net every now and then but that's about it. I like shad but I don't think it is that much better than fresh herring if any at all. It's not the bait, I just have trouble finding fish on the lake. I'm working on it though.

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote: It's not the bait,:eek:oooh:

OK, i always thought it was, sorry. Iuse to buy and use herring all the time. A guide once stoped me and told me a little secret that few people knew at the time. My PB went from 37 lbs to 68lbs and my # of 37lb fish went to a whooping 5 per trip, and 50lb fish were not un-common on every trip. Now there are times they prefer herring, or so they say cause i haven't used them in 10 yrs.
    I guess its like anything else, if you believe in it, it will work:big_smile: Besides, you live there so you should know. As far as shad goes, the gizzard shad are hard to get at times so i just run by the bait mans and pick it up when i'm using it. Ned Davis takes them to Blacks, so if you ever need any go by there are go to his bait shop right before you turn into the canal. Ned's Bait

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Ned's Bait Shop closed at least for the winter I am sorry to say. I prefer shad myself.

9. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Thanks Dean for the Black's info, I'll check with them. I just don't want to blame it on the bait. If I was marking alot of fish and not getting any action then I would look into the bait thing. When everyone refers to shad, what kind are they referring to. Gizzard? Sometimes over at the damn I pull up a net full of fish that look just like menhaden, are these shad? They seem to work well in the fall when I got em. I have fished white perch beside of herring and for most of the trips I remember the perch out fished the herring. I don't really know where to catch the perch at now, I usually get em right before dark in the warmer months in shallow water. Oh well, I appreciate all the advice you guys give and I'll use it to figure em out, just might take me a while.

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Matt i'm told that manhadden is the bait to use in the winter months. I had forgotten all about them. I always liked gizzard shad but some swear by the thread fin. The only bait i would have on me when i fished Santee was perch and gizzard shad. I'd use a bream or 2 when fishn for flaties. But you also got to look at the time i was fishn. I never done much winter fishn at Santee, maybe a few trips in Dec. but it was always in the trees on Marion. I would fish the river till the fish were being caught in the tree's and then move to the lake. Ned Davis always told me to go over to the Dam and catch manhadden (sp) but i never did because of the throw net:smile2: One throw and i have to pop 2 pain pills. I guess if its possible, its best to have all kinds of bait. You may want to call Blacks to make sure they have the shad, Charles Davis had told me Ned was having trouble getting them. Good luck. Keep us informed. If you burn them up on herring let me know, much as i hate it, i can always change:big_smile:
    As far as perch, i always caught mine in the canal. Worms, but its been so long sence i caught any in winter months, i can't recall if i got them in the canal or what

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  11. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Mullet is the bait right now on Moultrie,BIG gizzards are ok but I cant get a bite on the small shad even though my friends here often have success with them. I prefer herring 100 to 1 over small shad.I do believe its just my bad luck with shad that makes me think this way.Good luck whatever you use.

12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Thanks Richie,
    The first guide I went out with up there told me the same thing. Cold months, especially January, he wanted mullet. I've tried it once but didn't get to fish very long that morning do to lake conditions. I will be trying it again.

13. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Where are you getting your mullet? ME and two friends are coming down fri. to fish the lower lake.

14. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I don't know where you are putting in at, but Angler's on 52 has frozen mullet. Pretty much the same bait all the shops down this way carry. The finger sized ones are firm and hold up well, if you buy the bigger ones frozen they seem to be mushy and fall apart.

15. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dean I agree I have never caught many big blues on santee with herring and i have gave it plety of time gizzard shad is my favirote bait

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Jason i'm speaking from many yrs fishn there, but i have seen times that they didn't won't anything i had and i would wish i had a couple of herring in the boat to at least try. I caught plenty of fish on herring, it just wasn't the fish i wanted to catch. I will say this, i prefer some type of bait over no bait:smile2: Me and Marvin couldn't even catch bait the other day.

I'm just an old catman set in my ways and like to talk about the day. I had my day in the sun and now i just like to look back at all the memories and share it with others when i can. Its ya's time now and one day you will be doing the same thing, wait and see. I just thank the good Lord that i had a passion for fishn, it kept me out of trouble in my younger days and if you thank about it, Jesus when he was choosing his diciples, chose fishermen.:big_smile: