Lake Moultrie Catfishing Tactics and Catfish Talk - Part II

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whitewhiskers, Jan 5, 2007.

1. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    great! got a heads up from work last night n they said no your not goin to cross your goin to Thomasville ala. :sad2: dang it i was really lookin foward to fishin with you guy's. thanks agin for all your help. maybe i'll make it down there soon.

2. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Greg sorry your not going to make it to Cross. I am sure you would have enjoyed it.

I am sure those boys on the AL board will give you some help.

Jim

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Same here, Gregg, but maybe you can get over this way at a later date.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    At least Cross will have drinking and wash water.My son was there with his crane today setting the city water tower in place.He works for Maxim Crane Works.I know he would rather have been fishing.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

5. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    thinking about going sat night. any tips. last time i got skunked!! my friend got 1.

6. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick,
    It almost sounds like a crap shoot, Just grab a lot of different baits throw them out and see if anything works. Let us know.

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Man these SC boys are just getting their threads shut down and moved everywhere! Way to go guys!

8. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    what do you all think go on sunday at 6 am or go on sat at 4 till when ever. i might go sat evening cause the wind will be out of the north at 10. i have not had much luck at night thats why im leaning more twards sat evening into the night. how are thing out there. all i hear is slow. has anybody done ok lately? is any members going this weekend?

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick, Now that I have the holiday season behind me now, I may wait a little bit longer for the water temps. to drop some.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    O'neil Outside is on satellite, vs channel (old OLN). They are drifting for blues on santee cooper. Pretty good info for drifters, maybe....:big_smile:

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah I seen it.He was fishin with Captain Darryl.

12. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    what did they have to say?

13. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    cant find that show, seems like they have them all but that one on the web site

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    captain darryl has something to say about everything anytime someone will listen but it gos on an on if you whatched the show he cought 90lb flathead on an on you beleve me dont you.just ask fred sanford.

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nothing real important to someone that been drifting the lakes before. didnt give no real key secrets to catching them drifting. he was using a 60lb leader and had a little way of cutting his bait to make the hook ride up and not get snaggged so much but he was using cirlce hooks too. they caught some 7-8lb fish and had a couple fish in the 30s from a previous taping a month or so earlier. just a good show to watching today when the weather is too bad to be working outside.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I knew Roundhill wouldn't be able to stand it. Cap'n Darryl is one of his favorites. hehe. I couldn't tell if the drag was slippin' on those small ones or not, Ron. :wink:
    They were fileting the herring down the side like we do, cut off the tail, fold the side with the backbone up and run the 5/0 circle through it all.
    It really did fill in some time on a rainy, cold day.
    Nick, it was on about 7:30 am, and again at 1:30 pm, or whatever time it was. Don't know if or when it might rerun.

17. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I didn'''t see the show but if Capt'n D was there they probley caught 40 cats that averaged 20lbs at least LoL.

18. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thats 20lbs each LOL.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I understand what you're getting at, Brandon, and they did catch several smaller ones. :wink:
    Those guides, I guess, have customers to satisfy. A lot of folks hire a guide as a once/lifetime deal, and they want to catch lots of fish to take home or brag about, so the best way for a guide to satisfy them is to target numbers of smaller fish, and a 20# fish is pretty big to a lot of people. Someone told me a funny story once how Captain Darryl likes to keep his drags set loose, so even a smaller fish will pull drag, making it more exciting for the unexperienced, I suppose. Well, this guy starts tightening the drag on the reel he's using to land about an 8#'ish fish, Cap'n starts getting upset, so this guy hands Cap'n Darryl the rod and says "Well, here, you fish with the **** thing then." Cap'n starts tightening drag on all the other rods. Gotta keep them customers happy. :big_smile:
    Most of the guides will go after big fish if the customer requests it, and the ones I've spoken with personally love to see the larger fish released, just like most of us do, but it's mostly up to the customer.
    I think more and more of the guides realize that the big fish nowadays need to go back.

20. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tommy
    I figured you would be in the water today........Ive been roped into babysitting the grandkids today and had considered loading them up and heading out. My better judgement said to re-think and re-group.... I do ok when its only one or two of the little fellows......but when its the whole pack.....lool out !!!! This cold front should have the bait knotted back up, maybe Ill try to get that way the first of the week.