Lake Moultrie catfish ?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Gomer, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Went out of shortstay this morning lines were down a 8:15 and up at 5:30 tonight. Caught 4 small cats all under 7lb. Tough day!! :sad2: I tried cut mullett,cut shiners, live shiners,shrimp,chicken liver. I fished from the dam out to marker 11 and over the flats on bonnoue side from 60 - 18 ft. Caught all my fish on live shiners off floats droped down to 20-30ft in 40 to 60ft bottom. NO one else was doing much ether, boats was running all over the lake all day TRYING to find fish. :confused2:
    Got to meet Tom, out in front of the dam just before dark and it made a sweet end to the day. Was a rough day, but GOD STILL SMILED ON ME and gave me enough for dinner! :smile2: Cold front coming in, in the middle of the week. Don't know what it will do to the water guess I"ll have to wait and see.
    HEAR THAT, CLICKERS GOING OFF GOTA GO

Thanks again guys for all the info:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A note to add to Gomer's info. The few fish I hooked were in 40-50' of water today, but there were lots of fish from ~20' down. I figured most of them were stripers, but some were cats, obviously. The bait was scattered, but there were fish feeding above and below the bait. I'm hard-headed and seldom use floats like Steve was doing, even though I know it works. :confused2:
    Good idea, Steve.

3. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i also cant stand floats. i might have to give it a try. this winter has been so up and down. looks good for sat so far. i will try what ever i can and ill let you all know

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Cold weather is finely here for a while. What does it do to the fish send them shallow or deep? Or does it depend on what the bait fish do. I plan on being out there sunday and was just trying to figure out whether to go to the upper lake out in front of the dam between Harrys and randohs or stay down in the lower lake and keep drifting the flats?
    This is the first year that I have started trying to figure out the lakes instead of just hit and miss fishing. Before I use to hunt so much I never had time to fish! Even though we have some of the best fishing right here along the Easteren Seaboard!! I guess I'll wait and see what reports come in later on in the week then decide.

line is screaming gota go!!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, I wish I knew what to tell you. If I did, I'd keep it to myself and go alone. :lol:
    Until the water gets down near 50, the bait will stay scatteredl, I suspect, which means the fish will likely be scattered, too. Unless the temps really fall, and stay low, you might do better on the lower lake. Temps are about 54 right now, vs 60 on sunday. That's a good drop.
    Just my nickel....

6. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i hope by sat evening they will drop even lower.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'll go ahead and throw in my nickel too.I wouldnt even bother driftin, I would anchor down on the drops and ledges(prefferably the ones with bait around them).They already dont want to run a bait down to much in the winter and with a cold snap like this one they probably really want chase it then.I'm talkin about 20+ lb fish now, the little ones will hit driftin pretty much all through the winter.This is just what works for me.In front of the Marion dam would be one of my 1st choices.Hog swamp and Pinopolis point on the lower lake would be another.Once again now this is just my opinion.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Were is hog swamp.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its to the rt around marker 6-7 i think. its on the hot spots map. lower end of the hacttery

thats going down the lake too.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its in between Pinopolis point and the Hatchery.Its kinda like a funnel Pinopolis point on one side which is shallow and the Hatchery on the other which is shallow and hog swamp is deep in the middle.Its kinda like a creek run on upstate lakes that baitfish favor so much this time of year.Theres alot of places around there where the water drops from 10 to 40 foot.