Lake Moultrie bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by duckcommander, Apr 8, 2008.

1. duckcommander

duckcommander New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was wondering what was a good bait to use right now.

I have only fished Moultrie once with no success on the cats. I am used to fishing in the salt and for b@$$. I have a friend coming in that wants to fish the famous Santee Cooper Lakes.

Where would I go to throw the net for some gizzards or threadfin? Would I be better off using a sabiki and the sonar? Or should I use something else for bait?

Also I plan on putting in at Short Stay. Any recommendations as to where to drop lines? I have an 18' cc so I feel comfortable fishing the open H2O.

Anchor or drift? Are the blues deep or shallow right now?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really appreciate any help.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC.

Fish shallow with fresh cut bait(bream,shad,herring,perch) any should work. You should be able to catch blueback herring in the early morning or at night right in front of the dam wall. Good luck.

3. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Welcon to the BOC.

I have fished a few times with rivercatsc and he knows as well as anyone. Hope you have a good trip and let us know how it went.

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good fishing tips

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish good job fishwillie kept up the good work:wink:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    :0a25:good tips in boc lib:big_smile:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya, listen to James, he has been known to catch a big fish or five on Santee.... :wink:

8. mf7406

mf7406 New Member

State:
    ga
    hi, i just got back from santee fri. fished sun thru thurs. we caught most of our good fish in 15-20 feet of water, & a few as deep as 25. this cold front may push them a little deeper, but i'm not an expert on their patterns. i just have to find them. if you have a map, we had good luck on the west side just south of sawdust pile slough. depending on the wind, there are some areas there that you can drift from 8-10 ft out to 25-30 ft. we fished almost exclusively with cut bait. hill's has the large river herring for $8.00/ half doz.

good luck, mark