Lake Moultrie bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shrimp Man, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have seen people catching there own bait around the dam at moultrie with rod and reel, can any of you give me instructions? day or night does it matter?
    Eddie

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy can help you out on this one better than anybody I know.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    'Mornin', Eddie. I mostly use a sabiki rig to catch the herring. To go inside the buoys, you must have a bait permit from Santee Cooper. The permit is free from their office in Moncks Corner, just need picture ID, and boat registration. A cast net would probably work, but I don't have a lone enough handline on mine; the water is ~60' deep there.
    I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz. sinker on the sabiki rig, just cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Keep a tight line and you'll feel them when they hit. The wall and corner on the right as you enter is usually my best area, but sometimes they are scattered.
    Also, lots of times there will be huge baitballs over the deepwater outside the buoys. I've tried throwing the cast net over them, but the sabiki does better.
    White perch work good, too, and they can be caught with earthworms on a bream hook, almost anywhere, especially near a deep channel.

4. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy,
    I guess most tackle shops carry the sabiki rig?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Eddie, most tackle shops that carry salt water tackle have them, including walmart. If you aren't familiar with them, they have a number of small hooks (6-8) on a long leader, used to catch small bait fish, mostly for saltwater, but often in fresh, too. A size 8 or 10 hook will usually work. They work well for herring, and sometimes the shad will bite them too.

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Eddie,
    At night I have done well throwing the cast net by the dam. I do best in the corners and around the light at the end of the walkway there. If you pull up after dark and they are near the surface you will see the flips and the cast net will work fine, usually one toss is enough with a 8ft radius net. The only problem with this is they aren't always on the surface so always keep sabikis and a good fishfinder helps also. I buy the sabikis that are red and green mixed. Made by marathon or tsunami at wal mart. When the bait is kinda tough to get I sometimes notice a preference to the red or green, then I can switch to solid red or green. Also, when using a sabiki ensure your drag is set correctly for the light line, I think it is about 7-9lbs. I have seen some nice fish caught on the sabiki while reeling the bait in.
    matt

7. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Matt, Thank you for the information, I'll take the cast net my next trip.
    Eddie

8. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    the other night thats how i got my bait. cast net. i never thought about it until tommy said something about it. thanks tommy. i have a 12 ft net and i had enough in a few casts.

9. Ragewolf

Ragewolf New Member

State:
    south Carolina
    hey edd use a cast net durring to harring run and toss on a boiling spot wait and jerk dont wait for it to hit bottom and youll have a cooler

Rage

10. Ragewolf

Ragewolf New Member

State:
    south Carolina
    oh yea minhaden are better also crab and shrimp and brim work wonders

11. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    You can buy the sabiki rigs at BPS for under $2 each.They are the Offshore Angler brand-I use red/silver & red/green mix.