Lake Moultrie 9/28 and 29

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Sep 30, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Got on the lake about 7 am friday mornin and the plan was to locate good lookin, stump filled humps and make one drift over them to hopefully find some flatheads to come back to during the tournament.

First hump we started out on as we where coming up it got a 3 lb blue then a 8 lb channel and when we got to the top this flathead in the picture bit.The waves where rockin the boat pretty good which made gettin an accurate weight difficult but the scales kept goin from 53 to 59 lbs so I'll just call it 55 lbs.We also caught a 25 lb flathead and a 32 lb blue in some other spots along with a few small ones.

We had bream, white perch, gizzard shad and herring and they all caught fish but the bigger ones came on bream and white perch.

When the big one first hit I was disappointed because it bit the day before the tournament which seems to happen alot but it was still worth it.

I was feelin like we might have a decent shot at the tournament if the wind would allow us to fish the same spots the next day but that didnt happen.The wind got real bad during the tournament, the worst I had been fishing in, I was beginning to question my intelligence for even being out there.I made the mistake of not haveing a backup plan and the results of the tournament showed that.Day early and dollar short.

We still ended up in 3rd but we had a guppy stringer compared to 1st place.A local upper lake fisherman took everybody to school beeting the rest of the field by 97 lbs.He had a brave enough soul to go out into the forest in all that wind and it payed off for him.Aint no catfish worth me goin out in that stuff with 4 foot swells.:smile2: The results will be up in the tournament section soon.

All in all a good weekend.

Attached Files:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats a nice flathead chris! i know the feeling about them prefish. well i know it was worth the trip to just catch a big flathead anyways. congrates on the 3rd palce finish and the nice flathead!

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Like catfishrus said, nice flathead. Congrads on the 3rd place finish and glad you and the rest of my BOC brothers are safe and OK, because 4ft. swell on Santee is BAD!

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    nice catch chris,thats a nice looking flathead,congrats on 3rd,hate we didnt make it,but once i seen the weather report on the wind,that pretty much made up my mind on not coming,with a 2 1/2 drive and the lakes as low as they are and then calling for all that wind,we opted out at the last minute,congrats again and look foward to seeing the results:wink:

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    congratulations on that hawg, that sure is a beast! I know if the wind was different the results would have been alot different for you for the tourny!

6. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good fish chris. Just a day early better than a day late I guess.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    We feel your pain, Chris, about the big flattie, and the tournament finish. Actually from what I saw, nobody was catching many big fish yesterday (the one 1st place boat excluded). The cold front came through on Friday, winds were up, full moon, etc. I saw a couple of guides come in and they didn't have many fish at all, and no big ones. That boat that took 1st was fishing (I think) over in the timber toward the north side of the lake and was sheltered somewhat from a lot of the rough water. :smile2:

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Hey Chris congrats on the huge flat head. Congrats also on the 3rd place finish in the tournament, but we all know that 2007 was your year in the Catmen. The wind didn't mess us up to bad because the Marion dam blocked alot of it off us as we drifted from the spillway out to markers 43-44-and 46. The team that won was just north of us ringing stumps. Same as you our pre-fishing was much better than the day of the tournament so I know how ya feel accept we didn't get to catch no 50 lb flathead. Next time you just pre-fish my location and I'll pre-fish yours LOL.

9. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations Chris. At least you were able to have at least one productive day. It may not have been the day of the tourney but it was still a great turn out. We can't win them all even if you are the best at it. Great day bud. Congrats again on the 3rd place finish. Them crickets worked out after all huh?:big_smile:

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Nice going with the big flattie, Cap'n Chris - & congrats on 3rd place. You'll get'er next time :wink:

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    congrats on the BIG flattie and the 3rd place finish...just a day to early:sad2:...the 2 blue limit really puts a pinch on those tourny's now...almost have to go after them flatties to try and win...i'm glad i wasn't fishin in 4 and 5 foot waves cause i probably would have been sick the whole time:dribble::dribble:

12. monk

monk New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Great catch even if it was for 3rd.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    You are right. Live to fish another day. Is that your personal best cat. Nice monster flattie.

14. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is that a fish or a whale that you're holding? LOL. Congratulations on the tournament!!!!

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yes sir it beets my former best flathead by 5 lbs.

16. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Congrats on the 3rd place finish , I know you will get them next time.

17. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Cool , any time you beat your PB it make the trip worth it. By the way what is your PB blue & channel ?

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Biggest channel just a little over 15 lbs.Used to catch them that size all the time in Greenwood, so much that it wouldnt a big deal.Just didnt realize how important it was back then.:sad2:

Biggest blue 48.12 lbs, I just never seem to get my hands on the rod when its bigger than that, I either have to let a customer get it or I'm just so dang nice I let my buddies grab the rod, aint that right Brad?:smile2:

19. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    That's a nice fish Chris. I tell you what, it's also alot of fun (and challenge)netting a big fish. I have never caught a Flat that big but have caught some whopper blues. Anymore I think I enjoy being the net man as much as horsing one in.

20. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris,
    I'd bet the pan fisherman are glad you gave that flatty a sore mouth, That is a fine fish Chris and a very respectable finish.