Lake Moultrie 7/23 and 24

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by matt22va, Jul 25, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Me and the little boy pitched a tent at Short Stay and fished Thursday and Friday night. Thursday I found structure and bait around atkins in about 30 ft. Fished there for a couple of hours then moved over around the dam on the backside of the point to get away from the wind. I sat up in 32 feet and was marking bait pods. No luck but it was a nice night so about midnight I folded out the chair and took a little nap. I had a crappie light out also. I woke up at 230 and all the rods still had bait and were untouched. There were so many herring under my light my garmin was blanked out on the screen and the depth read 8 feet. So lots of bait, one channel cat on sonny's in the first 15 min we were on the water. Friday evening we rode out to the point and fished off the wall for about an hour and caught 3 on sonny's. We went back to camp not sure if we were going to take the boat out or not. We were walking up, and I looked down behind my truck and there was a large gizzard shad with no head laying there in the middle of the dirt road. I told the boy to touch it and see if it was wet and he said it was, so I picked it up and it was still limber and fresh. Well this is a message so we gotta go out in the boat. Drifted in 6-15ft around hog swamp, caught 6 small blues and channels. Herring and Gizzard shad was the bait, They seemed to prefer the shad that came out of the road. Nothing huge, but a pretty good night for me considering my luck lately. I did size down from 50lb mono leader to 30lb floro, I don't know if it helped or not, but I think I'll leave it on.

2. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    I was fishing out at shortstay friday as well. I was fishing from the the shore over by the cabins. Was able to bring in a nice 20lber and a 3lbr on shrimp. I had gizzard shad, live shad, cut herring, live white perch, and shrimp. They liked the shrimp. Gonna go again this weekend and see what happens.:wink:

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Road kill shad! That's a first for me :eek:oooh: Sure beats throwing the cast net :smile2:

4. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I still haven't figured out how that Shad got there, that fresh. I'm thinking either some one cut off the head and gills and were using it for bait and it fell off of thier golf cart or a bird dropped it. I don't know, but it caught fish.