Lake Moultrie 3/16 and 3/17

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Mar 17, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Big fish are feedin.2 to 6 foot of water in the muddiest water you can find.Ocean run herring was the bait of choice.Friday prefishin we caught 7 blues from 18lbs to estimated high 30's and a couple of channels and a bowfin.All the pictures are from Friday.Today we had 5 fish totaling 152.30lbs.Due to the advertisement signs in the background I cant post pictures but Tommy (Blackwatercats) was there, he helped me unload them so he can vouch for me.There was also another member there too but I cant recall his screen name.It was real windy but a real good 2 days of fishin.I'll say it over and over, there aint nothin like shallow water fishin.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Heres a few more and the bowfin its somethin I'm not used to catchin very much.

Attached Files:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    as they say"You Da Man",are there any conditions that you cant catch fish?:big_smile: We really wanted to join yall down there,I just couldnt see braving that wind in the toon,i know ya cant catch em if ya dont go,but i wanted to live to fish another day,lol,we will be at Monty tommorow getting blowed around,hope the wind lays some,congrats again on the fish,needless to say I guess ya got 1st.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks.Yeah but only by 7lbs.They're on fire down there.Everybody was catchin em.Good luck on mighty Mon.Its hawg time there too at least it should be.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, Chris, I know you would like to have choked me when I started to take photos and my camera batteries were dead. :embarassed: That is a new camera and the original batteries. Haven't even taken but a few pics with it. I'm awful sorry for that, but I can tell everyone that was a beautiful catch you and your wife had today at the weigh-in. My apologies to both of you for the camera deal, but I applaud your decision to release the fish rather than waiting a little longer for me to get fresh batteries.
    I had to leave before the last person weighed, so shoot me a pm to let me know how it all ended up. Thanks

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    That aint no big deal Tommy, I'm just glad you where there to see it.Somebody got alot of pictures of em but I've got to find out who it is.Our biggest fish was close 50 inches long, every body was guessin 60lbs but it was only a little over 38lbs it was a real slinder fish probably the skinniest blue I've seen.Kinda dissappointin it still helped the total alot.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I guess anyone who reads this thread may wonder what happened. I dropped by for the weigh-in and met Chris and his wife as they arrived, helped him a little in getting his fish into a cooler for transport to the weigh station. He was trying to cull the last two after borrowing a scale, and finally got the 5 keepers to the weigh-in. He had one there about 38? #'s and I offered to take a pic of that one with the digital camera I had recently purchased; well, wouldn't ya know, the batteries were dead, and spare batteries were several minutes away in my vehicle. Chris elected not to wait that extra time, so that fish could be released immediately.
    I didn't stay for the final, but every fish I saw released by this group of folks appeared to be in good shape for survival. Very well managed tournament, I'd say.
    BTW, Congratulations to Chris and his wife for winning. Not certain what second place weight was, though. I regret not getting those pics for everyone to see....:angry:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates chris! sounds like things are picking back up. you fishing the big one next weekend. i talked to septembers winner today and he said he was coming. i got to wait until it warms up some and drifting picks up. sounds like a good stringer. congrates again

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Way to go Chris. Now I cant wait to get back to the lake I hope to go middle of the week.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    No Micheal I cant fish that one.

11. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    great job on the catch and release. i have had little luck with nothing over 15lbs and usually only 2-5 fish catch. just wondering if you could help me out with some pointers im gonna fish the tourny next week and its my first one ever and would like to respectfully palce but i feel im missing something when i go out cause yall are catching 150 + lbs of fish and im getting 20-40lbs any info if you can give it would help

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    After reading your Marion report it looks like your useing the right bait and the right rig.The fish might not be as shallow yet on the upper lake as they are on the lower lake, theres a pretty good difference in water temps between the two.The guy that had 2nd had 145lbs and he caught his in 17 foot of water in Marion but I caught all mine in less than 6 to 8 foot on Moultrie.Theres still some shallow somewhere on Marion though just have to find em.If you can find some pockets of warm water your in business then.Way back away from the deep water is where the warmest water will be usually.I caught all my fish a mile to a mile and a half from any water deeper than 8 foot.The water would be 1 1/2 to 2 degrees warmer there then out in the deeper water.Gradual slopes are also what you need to look for on the flats.I give each spot 35 to 40 minutes when fishin the shallow flats.Sometimes you want get all the rods threw out before a rod goes down and sometimes you might sit for 30 minutes with nothin and then all of a sudden catch 2 to 3 or more.If you see lunes diving in the area thats a good indication that bait is there and the blues will be near even though they seem to be mainly feeding on mussles and snails they will still be near baitfish.

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what can you say that ain't been said already...SON THAT'S A MONSTER FREAKIN STRINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!...what i'm wondering though is that since your wife was your tourny partner does she collect 50% of the winnings or all of it (LOL)...congratulations chris cause you certainly deserve it!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Probably all of it for draggin her out in all that wind.I think she might be a good luck charm though so she might have to be goin more often.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, i'm not a catfish sexpert, but do you think those fish you had were maybe all males? They didn't have the gut on them like I'm used to seeing, but they seemed long and lanky. What's your thoughts? Maybe just haven't been feeding heavy during the cool season....

16. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man you gotta do what ever works but you better keep winning and handing her more $$$$ or your luck may just go away (or stay home)...LOL

17. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    hey great job chris I would have gave anything for just one of those fish this weekend. Sounds like yall had a great time even in the wind.

18. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    killing the big uns . big flat heads and big blues. the biggest flathead this week 52 pounds. the biggest blue weighed in 56 today! i am sure the catch will improve daily.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont really know Tommy several of the other fish weighed was like that too.Maybe there just startin their heavy feedin before the spawn.It makes since that the males would move in 1st to feed up and look for spawning habitat.

20. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Good job Chris we were to lazy to get there in time for the tourney but we fished today for fun around 16 island in the shallows. we caught 6 fish the biggest 25 and all the rest were around 10. I also got a bowfin well al most he came off while i was trying to get him in the boat.