Lake Moultrie 1-14-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got back down to the lake today and took a couple of guys from my fishing club who were interested in learning how to fish the lakes. Not a good day to learn! The wind was howling all day long and had a hard time keeping the boat slowed down. The fish we marked seemed to be pretty scattered and seemed to be feeding early this morning. In the first hour of fishing we caught 3 fish and missed several good bites and it was all down hill from there. Ended up with 5 fish total all blues in the 4-6lb range. All fish were caught on bluebacks in around 30ft of water drifting on the lower end of the lake. We put in at short stay cause of the threat of wind. Oh well no more excuses just a slow windy day but it was better than the allternative "WORK". LOL

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Now, James, I thought you were smarter than that; to try and fish moultrie on a day like yesterday. :smile2: My boss threatened to send me out there to work, as punishment. :tounge_out:
    A bad day to impress newbies, huh? Oh, well, that just makes ya want to go back and try harder, doesn't it?
    I'm going way up on GPD today, to Cheraw and beyond. I'll let ya know how the water looks.

3. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Hey rivercatsc it did get a little windy but I still learned alot
    hope it won't be to long before we can do it again. See you later

Fishwillie1

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC fishwillie.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    James, 5 fish is better than none, right. Moultrie is hell when it is real windy.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Will And dont worry we will get back down there soon enough. Welcome to the BOC.

7. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks James for the info. Did you have any trouble with the short stay ramp??:wink: I haven't been down there in awhile.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Lloyd we had no problem at all and we were in a 23ft center console and it unloaded and loaded easilly. Sure is convienenet to put in over there also Ijust wish they carried some kind of live bait.

9. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree, I also wish they would carry live bait. We stay there yearly and I have ask but they say that it's not worth the trouble. I sure think that their wrong. They do carry large minnows but thats the only thing like that.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anybody know the closest place to Short Stay to get live shad or herring? Would be nice if you could get some down on the lower end of the lake.

11. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Jason the only place that I know of is Ned's. And as you probably know is on 45 close to the diversion canal.

Jim

12. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I think its called Atkins landing(across from SS by water). They used to sell it but, I am not sure with the low water. Good luck!

13. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Atkins is closed at the present because of low water.
    To my knowledge there is nothing on the Short Stay side of the lake that has bait. But I could be wrong.
    Jim

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, Ned's is the only place you can (sorta) count on, but you should call ahead there (843-753-4350), because he's even been sold out a few times lately. On the plus side, plenty of herring can be caught at the dam with sabiki rigs; just need a bait permit from the Santee Cooper office in Moncks Corner to go inside the buoys.
    I think the old Anglers in Moncks Corner has minnows/shiners, and Short Stay has minnow and goldfish. I tried some of the goldfish, but they didn't work for me.

15. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    tommy can you get bait permits on weekend. I have not renewed mine from last year. Thanks

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I'm not certain. Since security folks issue the permits, it may be possible to get them on a weekend, but I've always done mine during the week.

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the bait permit information Tommy. I'll have to try that. How long is the permit good for?

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, the permit is good for one calendar year. You will need a driver's license or photo id, and boat registration. Go to the office located on hwy 52 bypass in MC.

19. funflycrazy

funflycrazy New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can you net the herring or do you have to use the sabiki rigs? It seems like there were time restrants also i just can't remember.

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Harold, it seems to me that most folks use the sabiki rig, vs nets. The nets will work better at night. Usually the water is somewhat clear, 45-65' deep, and the fish can see the net coming during daylight hours. If the bait is there, you can catch one on every hook almost every cast. Tip: sweeten the hooks with a very tiny piece of earthworm; seems to help some, especially when going after white perch or small bream.