Lake Moultrie 09/30

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by snooker_hooker, Sep 30, 2006.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    45-60 ft deep
    water temp 75 deg
    cut herring
    5 fish 1 channel 8.4 lbs
    4 blue all were 12-15 lbs.
    i kept 2 to eat and let the others go. wife does not eat them.
    i did not get any bites or even mark fish under 45 ft. fished between channel markers 4-5 and drifted all day. very slow drift the wind was calm. i even had to use the trolling motor. hope this helps. i wont be out there for a while. surgery is on monday.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Nick, and good luck with the surgery. That is about the way they've been biting for me lately in that area. Most of them have come from 45-55'. That's a good area to drift, though.

3. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick, Thanks for the report, I have had this same surgery, It was a breeze for me, And with the new technology you seem to recover much faster, Anyway, Good luck Monday.

Men I need your help, As you remember I wanted to fish last week and didn't get to, As of now I have planed on going again this Monday, Since I became a BOC member you have gave me great information on where to drift on Moultrie, The problem is I have never Drifted I've always achored, I use a one oz. egg sinker, a 9/0 or 10/0 J hook, I fish with about 6 lines in the water, and most of the time I use Live or Cut Bream, I set the lines at different depth's starting at about a foot off the bottom. Tommy I kmow you told me to change my hook size, Do I need to make any other changes for drifting ?
    Eddie

4. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    this is what i do. i had 4 lines out.
    3 rods with slip (egg sinker, bead, swivel the a 24 in 50 lb leader.)
    i got no hits on those. i would drop to the bottom and then reel up 4 to 5 turns.
    the other i had a 3 way swivel 1 leg to the main line then one leg with a 24 in leader 50 lb test to the hook. 6/0 circle hook, and the bottom one to a weight 2 oz. the line to the weight was 10 lb test.
    this rig is the one i caught all the fish on. and never caught the bottom.
    i will change all my rigs to this. i thought it just be my lucky rod, but it was the rig (lol)
    i would use my trolling motor on auto pilot and go slow and mark fish and bait. then i would turn aound and drift that spot. there was no wind to drift with yesturday. adapt and over come, trial and error.
    HERRING. i have not caught any fish on anything but herring. anglers has them in. they are 4-6 in long and i would use a whole one with the tail cut off to get sent out there.

after surgury maybe we can meet up and go. where do you live?
    i hope this helps. the people have helped me and now i need to help others.

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Eddie, quite a few folks anchor and fish, and if it works for you, that's fine. However, most people drift with the wind. Set up to pass over the humps, most use a flexable sinker, known as a 'slinky' or 'snake' weight, rather than the egg sinkers; they're less prone to hanging, but the egg sinkers will work, too. You only need enough to hold the bait down. 1 oz. should be plenty in most cases. You can use the hooks you are most comfortable with. I, and others, lean toward circles (they take some adjustment to learn), or kahles, which are good for live bait, and can be used like a 'j' hook, or let the fish hook himself, like a circle. 6/0 - 8/0 are usually large enough, unless you are strictly going for big fish, then the 9/0 and 10/0 you have are fine. There are a lot of smaller fish out there, and if you're after numbers, then I would downsize.
    If you decide to drift, set up to drift across the humps, as stated. A drift sock, or if you don't have one, a 5 gal. bucket with some holes cut in the bottom, will slow you down and help control the drift speed.
    Most of us use a leader between 2-3' long, and a 2" crappie float is placed on the leader about 6-8" above the hook. This keeps the bait up off the bottom, and also help reduce hangups.
    Another way to drift is to use the egg sinkers on a carolina rig, and drop the lines straight down, reel up to keep the bait 1-2' off the bottom. The drawback is that you have to keep adjusting depth as you drift, in order to follow the bottom depth. This method works better in water 25' or deeper, rather than shallow waters, I think.
    Here's a not-so-good pic of my drift rig (the peg in the float should be on the same side as the hook).

Attached Files:

• DRig.jpg
      DRig.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Men,
    I am going to get a drift sock on the way to the lake, I'm putting in at adkins, I think they sell herring there, I'll also take my cast net to dry catch some. I don't think I'm going to waste time catching Bream. I have some smaller J hooks, I may stop on the way and get some circle hooks as well, I'm always open to new ideas. I saved a little bit of my fresh shrimp to use as bait also.
    I'll let you know how I did.
    Eddie
    Tommy, I have never seen the slider weights, I'll see if I can find them also.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Eddie, Atkins is 'iffy' on live bait. Don't count on them having any. I always call ahead to see if they have it or not. If you have to, nightcrawlers will usually catch plenty of channels, too.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Forgot to remind you, in case you haven't used circle hooks before: Let the fish set the hook. Let them load that rod until the tip nears the water, start reeling without setting the hook, then remove rod from holder and bring 'em in. You may like to give an additional little short jerk as you reel, to insure hook is set well.:smile2:

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I did get to go to Moultrie yesterday, I put in at Adkins, I noticed the northern wind was blowing 10 to 15 pretty good chop on the water, water Temp. 77 degrees, Not many people on the water, I marked fish from 35ft. to 55 ft. ( more in the 55 ft.) I drifted all the depths, using herring, night crawlers and shrimp, I fished from about 1:00 pm until midnight, Oh yea, The moon was about 50%. I did'nt get a bite. After dark I was the only person on the water, as far as I could see. It kind of shocked me, But it is called fishing, and it was still much better than a day at work.
    Nick hope your feeling better.
    Eddie

10. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a good trip and some nice fish

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    When the wind gets up that high, it can be rough fishing. When my boat gets to rocking too much, I just don't get many bites, and sometimes when I do, I can't tell they're on right away. Sometimes, it's probably better to anchor the bow into the wind and cast out around the boat near structure, but I usually don't do it.
    Do you have any contour charts of the lake. Sounds like you were in the right area, though. When we fished the Randolph's tourney, we didn't catch an awful lot down there after dark, until just before daybreak.
    Have you ever fished the Stono River for cats, Eddie? I don't know how far up the brackish water goes, but it seems as though there should be some cats there.

12. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy,
    I did buy a new map at adkins, I really like it much better than the old map I have, I guess it show's just about everything below the water. I did stay to long, I should have known it was a bad day for fishing just by seeing everyone else had left early. But you know when you don't have that many days for fishing, I give it all I have.
    Eddie