Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bomber, Dec 10, 2007.

1. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    Is anyone catching any fish at Monticello lately. I dont fish much in the winter but was planning on taking a trip out their this weekend?

Thanks.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Welcome to the BOC, Carter! I haven't fished Monty for a coupla weeks, but for a while the fish have been hanging out in the deep water, 60' - 80' and deeper. If you can, take the freshest bait that you can get - shad, herring, white perch, brim (and maybe some shrimp for good luck!!!) :smile2:

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The drift bite has tapered off a little.Anchoring on ledges with cutbait of choice is workin good right now for big ones.Areas with bait around them are usually better.Patience is the key.

4. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Monticello
    Hey guys!! i'm new too this posting thing but i guess any info is Helpful info! I fish monticello most everyday. I put my rods out when i get home and then check on them as often as possible, between feeding the dogs, eating dinner, and taking a shower!! they have really slowed down lately! i got some shad from sc backwoods last week and the fish love them! but i have only been catching a few a week!

5. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Welcome to the BOC, John. I like to fish Monticello, but as it is 200 miles round-trip for me I don't go as often as I would like. Looking forward to your posts, especially as you fish there so often. :big_smile:

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess you have a house on the lake. I'm jealous. That would be an awesome lake to live on.

7. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Hey welcome to the BOC. I wanted to give a report my daughter and I went down to Monty today and caught a few. 1@40lb,3@25lb,1@14lb,1@5lb,1@3lb,4@2lb and 1@1lb.
    caught different places around the lake most were in deep water. 60 to 80 ft.
    I don't have pics today was catch and release day. hope this report helps.:big_smile:

8. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Sounds like a great day of catchin, Scott. Glad that you had a good time.

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Hey Scott, did she let you reel in any of the big blues or did she get em all LOL. Glad yall had a good catch, I know yall had fun.

10. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    yeah terry, i've been on this lake all of my life! my whole family from my great grandmother down to myself live on this lake. I consider myself very fortunate, although in this family you must work for everything!!, nothing is given to you! But i guess my grandfather felt like i fed enough cows and hauled enough hay to give me my place!

11. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    HEY Scott was she using those shad dead or alive? drifting or ancored?

12. SC Backwoods Baitman

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    JD yeah she let me reel in a couple the 40 lb one gave her a good fight she got him almost to the boat then she told me to help her but she had a ball. She told her mama on the phone when we were heading home she was aske did we catch any she said yeah a few then she was asked you catch any big ones she told her well we catch a 40 lb. but she said it like it wasn't anything spectacular. But she was thrilled.

John we were anchored in deep water using them SC Backwoods Shad. Frosty the Blue Cat's favorite bait of choice.:wink::smile2:

13. SC Backwoods Baitman

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Oh yeah John they were Alivead. I brought them in my bait tank but cut them so they will bleed.

14. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch Scott. Ain't nothing like sharing the experience with our children:wink:

15. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    Thanks Scott, I vacuum packed them and have been using them everyday! Been workin pretty good!